List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Where to list contributed KDE packages ?
From:       "AJ Venter" <AJ.Venter () datacash ! co ! za>
Date:       2008-08-19 7:50:08

Hi guys,
As some of you may know, KDE4.1 packages are now available in testing
for slackware-current.

I am working on a back-and-across port set of packages for slamd64 -
this is quite a challenge as the slackware packages are only set up for
straight 32bit's and using the same build-scripts unmodified on slamd64
will cause them to be installed in the 32-bit compatibility hierarchy
(which is not where they belong). More-over, they are built against the
contents of slackware-current and some other things in testing so I have
to actively hack the configuration options to even get most of them to
compile.

Because of this, I reckoned I could save other users of slamd64 a lot of
hassle if I set up a repo with the packages when I'm done (I expect to
be busy for at least another 2 days or so though - I want to build GOOD
packages after all :p ). I decided to call my repo slamdUNK (for slamd
UNofficial KDE4). Which leads me to my question - do we have a common
place to list community contributed packages for distro's that do not
yet have official KDE4.X support ?

I'm sure I cannot be the only one doing something like this, and slamd64
cannot be the only volunteer distro for  whom somebody is building such
packages. It would be good though if users had a standard place they
could look for such packages. Should they be listed (but marked as
unsupported contributions) on the main download pages ? Do I create an
entry on kde-apps (doesn't feel like the right place) ?
And if I don't know - how many other people doing this do not know where
to let users know about their work ?

Ciao
A.J.
--
AJ Venter
Linux System Administrator

Tel (direct): +44 (0)20 7421 4520
Mobile: +27 (0)83 455 9978

DataCash Ltd, Descartes House,
8 Gate Street, London, WC2A 3HP, United Kingdom.

Tel:  +44 (0)870 7274 761
Fax: +44 (0)870 7274 781

www.datacash.com

DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are
confidential to DataCash Group plc and its group companies. It is
intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you have
received this email in error, please forward it to info@datacash.com
with the subject line "Received in Error". If you are not the intended
recipient you must not use, disclose, copy, print, distribute or rely on
this email or any transmitted files. DataCash Ltd is registered in
England and Wales no. 3430157. DataCash Ltd is part of the DataCash
Group plc. DataCash Group plc is registered in England and Wales no.
3168091. DataCash Ltd and DataCash Group plc registered address is
Descartes House, 8 Gate Street, London, WC2A 3HP, United Kingdom.

Save a tree...Please only print this page if essential