List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE 4.1
From:       "AJ Venter" <AJ.Venter () datacash ! co ! za>
Date:       2008-08-04 6:32:20

> I agree with everything above, and it fits my own experience exactly.
As most
> of you know by now, I work in a company that helps our customers use
Linux
> through thin client technology. Of appr. 30 customers, totalling at
least
> 40,000 users, *one* chose GNOME instead of KDE.

> Main reasons:
> - They knew KDE already and wanted it.
> - Kiosktool (Note: this *has to* be ready for 4.2)
> - I / We recommended it. :-)

> So, if such a web page sees the light, talk to me and I'll give you
some great
> examples.

I had similar experiences. Back in my OpenLab days, with OpenLab 3.X we
shipped both KDE and Gnome, with OpenLab 4 we were switching to a single
liveCD based installation though, so we had to pick just one (putting
both on would have put too big a crimp on our application support) so I
did a poll among our customers and big user bases. Less than 1% had
chosen gnome (I preferred KDE but this gave me the hard numbers to back
it up as our sole desktop in OL4).

I would be happy to throw my hat in the ring to help with maintaining
this page. As Aaron put it, 1 or 2 people with a bit of commitment over
several months should be able to get it down well. I would be quite
happy to be one of those people. If I understood right, then Inge was
basically volunteering as well, so that gives us 1-2 people :)

Ciao
A.J.

DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential to DataCash \
Group plc and its group companies. It is intended only for the person to whom it is \
addressed. If you have received this email in error, please forward it to \
info@datacash.com with the subject line "Received in Error". If you are not the \
intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy, print, distribute or rely on \
this email or any transmitted files. DataCash Ltd is registered in England and Wales \
no. 3430157. DataCash Ltd is part of the DataCash Group plc. DataCash Group plc is \
registered in England and Wales no. 3168091. DataCash Ltd and DataCash Group plc \
registered address is Descartes House, 8 Gate Street, London, WC2A 3HP, United \
Kingdom.

Save a tree...Please only print this page if essential