List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE4. www4?
From:       Mark Ziegler <mark.ziegler () rakekniven ! de>
Date:       2008-03-22 16:50:47

Am Freitag, 21. März 2008 schrieb Sebastian Kuegler:
> All in all, you can have the N-th CMS discussion just fine, for me it's
> just noise on the list.
I would like add some more lines to this "noise on the list":
A CMS or something similar would make the life more easier. SVN is easy to
handle and not database driven, but it makes it difficult to handle
multi-lingual content.

My dream: One system to enter information, not php or html. Whenever someone
likes to translate some stuff it should appear on the local website. For me
it would be kde.de, the german site. kde.org is the master page.
In my company we use IBM Lotus Notes / Domino for that and it is so easy to
manage content. BUT, I am just a user and not the admin of that system and
cannot set up a system like that for kde.

Another thing is the "dot". It looks outdated compared to the *.kde.org
(Capacity) sites. Navindra, don't take it personal. For years now I want to
get the content (news) as xml, but nothing happens. 2005 I sent a detailed
description of my need. Markus Grob and me are picking the dot articles from
html-code (website), format it to xml and then upload it to SVN. More than a
1000 articles have been done this way and I hate it to spend 10 Minutes for
translation and 5 minutes for formatting. Who to talk to?

> In the past, I've tried to get a webteam together.
I would volunteer.
> Most people needed large
> amounts of hand-holding, others just wanted to 'do their thing' and not
> care about how that fits into the organisation. Those efforts died out, as
> did my motivation to lead a webteam. I've pretty much given up on it.
Sorry to hear this.

> Just a random example: We have a system that makes it reasonably easy to
> send in changes or corrections. If everything worked fine, it's a matter of
> committing a patch that was generated by the PHP scripts. Yet no one even
> steps up to fix the obvious problems (the patches send are line-broken, no
> biggie). That patch has been lying around for more than a year. That
> doesn't suggest to me that *anyone* really cares.
Is there a todo list for the webteam?

Another question about our wikis?
How many to we have? I know techbase and wiki.kde.org
How many to we need?
Is there a guideline about which content should be commited to which wiki?
Reason of my question: I would like have a todo list for the german website.
But I don't know where to put it.

Cheers,
Mark