List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] aKademy 2008 Press Release Kit
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-14 18:18:09

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 6:34 PM, Vlad Blanton <vblanton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Kde Promoers,
>
> Last year for aKademy 2007 I (with the help of Wendy and Aaron) created
> the pdf press kit.
>
> http://akademy2007.kde.org/press/aKademy-2007-pressbrochure.pdf
>
> Though I was satisfied with the previous years press kit, I would be
> delighted to create an even better one this year.  I already have ideas
> on how to improve it -- particularly to make it a high quality PDF
> following contemporary standards and to make sure that it is as
> re-usable as possible for the future.  Has anyone began working on it
> yet? If not, I'll jump on it nice and early to make the process as
> stress free as possible.

+1

You should imho use the stuff written for the KDE 4 release event by
Troy and myself... See attached.

> to KDE 4.1,
>
> Vladislav Blanton

["Press_Kit_Writing_Guid.html" (text/html)]

charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type"> <style type="text/css">

/* default css */

table {
  font-size: 1em;
  line-height: inherit;
}

div, address, ol, ul, li, option, select {
  margin-top: 0px;
  margin-bottom: 0px;
}

p {
  margin: 0px;
}

body {

    margin: 0px;

    padding: 0px;

  overflow: scroll;
  font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;
  font-size: 10pt;
  background-color: #ffffff;
}

h6 { font-size: 10pt }
h5 { font-size: 11pt }
h4 { font-size: 12pt }
h3 { font-size: 13pt }
h2 { font-size: 14pt }
h1 { font-size: 16pt }

blockquote {padding: 10px; border: 1px #DDD dashed }

a img {border: 0}

div.google_header, div.google_footer {
  position: relative;
  margin-top: 1em;
  margin-bottom: 1em;
}
/* end default css */

  /* default print css */

  @media print {
    body {
      padding: 0;
      margin: 0;
    }

    div.google_header, div.google_footer {
      display: block;
      min-height: 0;
      border: none;
    }

    div.google_header {
      flow: static(header);
    }

    /* used to insert page numbers */
    div.google_header::before, div.google_footer::before {
      position: absolute;
      top: 0;
    }

    div.google_footer {
      flow: static(footer);
    }

    /* always consider this element at the start of the doc */
    div#google_footer {
      flow: static(footer, start);
    }

    span.google_pagenumber {
      content: counter(page);
    }

    span.google_pagecount {
      content: counter(pages);
    }
  }

  @page {
    @top {
      content: flow(header);
    }
    @bottom {
      content: flow(footer);
    }
  }
  /* end default print css */

/* custom css */

/* end custom css */

  /* ui edited css */

  body {
    font-family: Verdana;

    font-size: 10.0pt;
    line-height: normal;
    background-color: #ffffff;
  }

  .documentBG {
    background-color: #ffffff;
  }
  /* end ui edited css */

  Write about KDE
</h1>
  The purpose of this page is to help anyone who wants to write about KDE, \
be it  for a blog or a magazine. We will give you some general tips and \
ideas, show  you how to find information and help you contact the community \
with questions. </p>
<h2>
  General tips<br>
</h2>
Free Software has different ideals and principles guiding it than \
proprietary software. The following tips can help you write a better and \
more complete article by pointing out the differences in culture between \
proprietary and free software communities.<br>
<ul>
  <li>
    <i>Search out the defining features, rather than comparing to \
commercial  products.</i> Many people in the commercial world view open \
source projects  exclusively as replacements for their Windows equivalents. \
While some  projects exist that do precisely this, the vast majority have \
unique  features that help to identify the program. Focusing on what makes \
the  program unique will produce a better response.<br>
  </li>
  <li>
    <i>Don't hesitate to contact the program developers directly.</i> \
Direct  contact often produces the best answers. Usually programs will have \
an  "About" screen (in KDE, it's under the help menu) that lists the \
contact  information for the programmers that were actually involved in the \
creation  of that software. Most programmers are very happy to answer press \
inquiries,  or will redirect your questions to someone who can better deal \
with any  specific topic.
  </li>
  <li>
    <i>Informal language is best. </i>Most open source programmers do not \
have a  degree in business, journalism, etc. and will respond faster and \
with more  details if they are approached as though the interview was \
taking place in a  coffee house. If you ask formal questions, do not be put \
off by the informal  response you may get in return. Ask for definitions of \
any jargon that you  do not understand as some words, especially the word \
"Hacker", have very  different meaning in the open source context.
  </li>
  <li>
    <i>Don't expect immediate responses.</i> Many open source programmers \
are  coding in their spare time and work elsewhere to pay the bills. They \
will  usually respond, but you need to give them time.
  </li>
  <li>
    <i>Discover people's motivations.</i> While some people work on free
    software for altruistic reasons, you will find that many do not. Many \
people  are paid by a company to implement features that this company would \
find  useful. Others simply find it an enjoyable hobby, and like being a \
part of  the community. A person's motivation will often dictate what sort \
of  programming they will do. If you discover what motivates a person or
    project, you will better understand their goals, which isn't always to
    compete with commercial software offerings...
  </li>
  <li>
    <i>Play up collaboration, not division.</i> While arguments between \
Linus  Torvalds and Sun's CEO may make the rounds in popular press, \
cooperation is  the prevalent mode of operation within the open source \
world. Free software  projects cover a wide range of applications, from web \
servers to games, and  quite often there is more than one product being \
developed under so called  'co-opetition'. Since the source code is \
available, projects readily and  freely borrow ideas from one another, and \
even though the implementation  details may be different, standards are \
developed for communications, data  formats, and so forth. Open source \
projects are often stricter adherents to  interoperability standards than \
their commercial counterparts.  </li>
</ul>
<h2>
  Finding information.
</h2>
  As most work in KDE is done over the Internet, 95% of the information can \
be  found there as well. But much of this information is hidden away in
  mailing-lists, chat channels and blogs. It is hard to extract information \
out  of those in an efficient way, so we will give you a few pointers on \
how to  find information about a topic efficiently.
<h3>
  The KDE site
</h3>
  The first source of information about KDE and the project can be found on \
the  <a href=http://www.kde.org/ title="KDE website">KDE website</a>&nbsp; \
[1].  <a href=http://kde.org/whatiskde/>What is KDE</a> [2] and
most  interest. Of course, the <a href=http://www.fsf.org/>site of the Free \
Software  Foundation</a> [4] and the <a href=http://www.gnu.org>GNU \
project</a> [5] can  give you more information on our roots and the \
principles of Free Software.  Don't skip the <a \
href=http://www.gnu.org/philosophy>philosophy section</a>  [6]! If you want \
to read more about the way Free Software works and is being  developed \
compared to proprietary software, this essay by Eric S. Raymond is  worth a \
read:  <a href=http://www.catb.org/%7Eesr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/ \
id=v6sm title="The Cathedral and the Bazaar">The  Cathedral and the Bazaar \
[7].</a> </p>
<h3>
  Release announcements
</h3>
Often, the
announcements">release announcements</a> [8] come with a nice, graphical \
overview of what's new. Based on this, one can quickly write an interesting \
piece showcasing the newest and greatest features in KDE.<br>
<h3>
  Websites
</h3>
  Most individual KDE sub-projects have their own website under the
  educational project can be found on
aggregated  on the <a href=http://techbase.kde.org/Projects>Projects \
page</a> [11]. It is  a good place to start and find the basic information, \
but be aware that it can  be seriously outdated!<br>
<h3>
  Techbase
</h3>
  Much more technical information can be found on the
  relevant developer information here. Interesting pages can be:
<ul>
  <li>
    Development frameworks in KDE 4:
  [13]
  </li>
  <li>
    Release schedulers and feature plans:
  </li>
  <li>
    Overview of the KDE projects:
  </li>
</ul>
  &nbsp;
<h3>
  The KDE news site
</h3>
  A premier source off information about KDE is the KDE news site,
we  can give a recommendation: The
  to KDE 4'</a> [18] series by Troy Unrau are an excellent starting point \
on the  many new technologies available in KDE 4. Further, just searching \
for the  technology you are looking for, like 'Decibel' will help you find \
what you are  looking for.
<h3>
  People
</h3>
  For information about the KDE developers, we recommend
  interviews with many KDE developers. Further, you can find their blogs \
mostly  on the <a href=http://planetkde.org/>Planet</a> [20]. Look under \
subscriptions  for individual feeds.
<h3>
  Commit Digest
</h3>
  The <a href=http://www.commit-digest.org/>Commit Digest</a> [21] is a \
very  valuable source of more detailed information, but it can be hard to \
extract  due to the sheer amount of information. A good tip is to quickly \
read the  'This Week' section at the top to get a quick overview of "what's \
hot".  Further, you can use the search functionality in your web-browser...
<h3>
  Mailing-list Archives
</h3>
  The most detailed information generally available online is to be found \
in the  mailing-list archives of the several KDE projects. Links to these
  mailing-lists can be found on their respective websites (see the
  An example of the edu mailing-list archives can be found
search  functionality is often required to find anything useful in a decent \
amount of  time!
<h3>
  Contacting the community
</h3>
  If you want to have the latest information, or verify what you're \
writing, the  best place to ask is on the
the  <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat>IRC \
channels</a>  [25]. You can subscribe to the mailing-list (but don't have \
to, just be sure  to mention it if you're not so they include you \
personally in the replies),  information about this can be found on the \
individual  <a href=http://techbase.kde.org/Projects>projects'</a> [26] \
websites. The same  goes for IRC, the channel-names and server information.
  If you want to get in contact with individual developers, you can send \
them an  email. Names can often be found on the
google-ing  often brings up their email address (tip: Google the name + \
"KDE"). </p>
<h2>
  Conclusion
</h2>
  If you want to write about KDE, it is often advisable to find a specific
  source of interest, as the whole of KDE is a lot to write about. Picking \
one  of the technologies behind KDE and writing an article about them is \
made easy  by the huge amount of information available online. The above \
guide can help  you quickly gather the basic information, and it tells you \
where you can find  or ask about the current status.
<ul>
</ul>
Written by Troy Unrau and Jos Poortvliet<br>
Links<br>
[1] http://www.kde.org/<br>
[2] http://kde.org/whatiskde/<br>
[3] http://kde.org/info/<br>