List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] "KDE User" LinkedIn group created
From:       indymike <mike () indyassociates ! com>
Date:       2008-01-17 11:58:10

Will -

On LinkedIn, my experience is that if you have an open group, you get a lot
of people that have no real name (they will use letters only, like j.asdf)
who quickly invite all of the group members to connect - and then after a
bit, spam starts flowing (investment opportunities, work from home, etc...).
What I've been doing is simply approving everyone who signs up (except fake
profiles) - after all we really have no way of knowing with any certainty if
someone is a KDE user or not.  I can change the group to an open group, but
all that does is eliminate having to approve new members.  You still get the
exact same invitation page and the exact same join the group process.

One thing we can do with the KDE User group that is not done is connect it
to a web page that explains what KDE is, why KDE matters and why you should
use KDE.  The reason there is no link is that I was looking for an analog to
mozilla.com.  KDE.org is a lot like the mozilla.org page that is more of a
community/company homepage and less of a marketing page targeting expanding
the KDE user base.  If you have any suggestion as to what the best page to
link to, I'll set the badge to link to it.

If you'd like a more exclusive group for KDE Developers, I would be more
than happy to set it up, design the button and even help manage the group
(if that is needed), but would not want to own that group as I'm not a KDE
developer.  One day, I may take time out and write some plasmoids, but right
now I'm happy to use KDE in my day to day work which includes a lot of
marketing work, and doing my favorite part, some python and php coding.

Also - I could use some help managing the KDE User group - that way we have
more people than just me  who can click on "approve new member" and remove
spammers since that about all the functionality that LinkedIn groups have.

Mike Seidle // Indy Associates // http://www.linkedin.com/in/indymike