List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] About KDE
From:       Andreas <andreas () knewton ! biz>
Date:       2007-12-12 19:04:10

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

"maybe it's just my own viewpoint, but KDE is the community that creates
 software, not the software itself."

I think the term "KDE", much as the word "Google" (or Toyota), has multiple meanings \
(e.g., if I say "I own a Toyota", this does not mean a Toyota employee is my slave).  \
The two most obvious ones are:  producer vs. product.  I think it is important to be \
consistent in usage of the term.  If there is a press release about "KDE 4.0", which \
starts out "The KDE project released ...", then "KDE" is being used in the product \
(software) sense, and the producer is referred to as "The KDE Project".

I think the international team would be more suited for an "About the KDE Project" \
line.  I don't think it hurts to have two "About" sections in a press release (one \
for, say, the company - "About the KDE Project", or, say, "About Trolltech" - and the \
other for the product - "About KDE", or, say, "About Qt" - being addressed in the \
release), but the usage of the term "KDE" should be consistent when used in the same \
marketing channel and certainly within the same press release.

Looking back at past usage and using my common sense, it seems to me "KDE" should \
refer to the product (I realize in this sense, for other purposes, such as trademark, \
there is a question of what this actually requires - the desktop shell, the core \
libraries / development environment, a core application that uses these core \
libraries / DE, and/or third-party applications - personally I think the last two \
should just be "KDE applications") - and "KDE Project" should be the producer.

Ciao,

Andreas