List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] About KDE
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-12-12 18:18:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 12 December 2007, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Are we still (as I think we once were) the largest open-source project
> in the world?  (Maybe not in terms of developers...OpenOffice and/or
> Mozilla SomethingAnimal probably takes that crown...but what about in,
> say Lines of Code?)

OOo and Mozilla have far fewer developers. the linux kernel has more, though.
our codebase is big, but there are bigger (OOo being one example). it would
be interesting to see some metrics though; we'd certainly come out in the top
1% on any of these metrics.

> I don't know if we are still the most popular (thanks, Ubuntu).

popularity is a measure that depends on your sample group. brittany spears may
not be overly popular with women in their 50s, but she probably does pretty
well with teen age girls. ;) ubunty has helped restore parity in a certain
segment of the linux using populace; unfortunately for us it's one of the
only easily visible segments.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se