List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] About KDE
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-12-12 0:48:14

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

hi all...

read this and weep along with me:

"About KDE

KDE, or the K Desktop Environment, is a network transparent contemporary
desktop environment for Linux and UNIX workstations. KDE seeks to fulfill the
need for an easy-to-use desktop for Linux and UNIX workstations, similar to
desktop environments found on Macintosh and Microsoft Windows operating
systems.  KDE 4.0 will make use of Qt's cross-platform capabilities to bring
many of its applications to Windows and Mac OS X."

observations:

- most of our target audience will not know what "network transparent ..
desktop environment" means. it's also not such a distinguishing feature to be
promoted as if it is the essence of our USP?

- we're not a desktop environment. the DE is one of our products
(kdebase/workspace i suppose =). but we have many other products as well, and
the portability to other platforms puts the nail in that coffin. note that
our instistence on refering to ourselves as a DE has put us in some hot water
with projects such as KOffice and Amarok when it comes to their marketing, as
it is far to constraining. this means we stand to lose marketing synergies[1]
and have projects spin away from KDE as a project (something KOffice team
seriously talked about last year, in fact)

- it's a bit boring.

for an upcoming press release we rejigged this a bit to read (at least in the
current draft):

"KDE is an international technology team that creates integrated Free/Open
Source Software for desktop and portable computing. Among KDE's products are
a modern desktop system for Linux and UNIX platforms, comprehensive office
productivity and groupware suites and hundreds of software titles in many
categories including Internet and web applications, multimedia,
entertainment, educational, graphics and software development. Building on
the cross-platform capabilities of Trolltech ®'s Qt ®, KDE4's full-featured
applications run natively on Linux, BSD, Solaris, Windows and Mac OS X."

still not awesome, though, imho. though hopefully an improvement (i had a hand
in writing some of that paragraph, along with ferai, so i'm allowed to diss
it all i want ;)

but we need to get this straight for re-use in future communications. it
should reflect kde4's amibitions and realities.

what points should we nail home by mentioning it in the above?

- internationalization?
- usability?
- specific features / frameworks?

let's try and collaborate on this to get our best image forward .... =)

[1] that's the correct usage of that word, not the empty annoying PHB
version ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se