List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE name tags
From:       "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Franz_Keferb=F6ck?=" <franz.keferboeck () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-09-10 15:17:17

OK, i've done another mockup with inkscape, quick hack that is, but
that's what i was thinking of:

http://franz.keferboeck.info/KDE/NameTag.png
http://franz.keferboeck.info/KDE/NameTag-gray.png

the suggestions so nicely collected by Tobias will be incorporated as
soon as i'm back in linz - so in 2-3 hrs or so...

On 10/09/2007, Tobias G. Pfeiffer <tgpfeiffer@web.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I put my Scribus file and the pdf into the SVN, so you can have a look the
> drafts at $SVN/trunk/promo/nametags. (WebSVN is currently down, so no link.)
>
> There were the following comments so far:
> > * black letters, light background (Joseph, Franz)
>
> OK, liked that better, too.
>
> > * bigger name (Joseph)
>
> OK.
>
> > * lack Oxygen style (Franz)

dunno if mine actually are more oxygen like...

> I don't know if I can do anything about that. Maybe we could embed the whole
> text within an Oxygen window decoration? :-) That would definitely look
> funky.
>
> > * less background image complexity (aseigo)

There's the watermark we could still get rid of; i will have to check
what it looks like in print!

> Hm, you mean no background at all or just one without gradients?
>
> > * "department" necessary? (aseigo)

The department makes sense, true; however, there might be people who
just come up and help out, without having a certain position in KDE,
therefor we need to define a position so they _are_ part of it all.

> The reason for that was that on past occasions, we had nametags with "KDE
> developer" on them, where some people said: "Ah, so we're all developers
> today?" So this "KDE Promotion Team" was actually a placeholder for whatever
> you want to entitle yourself, be it "KDE Developer" or "KDE e.V." or "KDE
> Artist" or whatever.
>
> > * only one of K-Logo and "KDE" necessary (aseigo)

Gone with that, i kinda like it...

> Probably we all think that the logo is important. But I think, especially in
> contact with new users, it's important to have a term that people can *say*,
> e.g.: "So, tell me about this... 'KDE'!" You cannot ask google for a logo you
> remember well and the like. The logo may change over years, but the name does
> not, and so I think that both logo *and* the term "KDE" are important on the
> card.
>
> > * slogan rather than "K Desktop Environment" (aseigo)

Yep: gimme that slogan ;-) it's "K Desktop Environent" yet...

> OK, that's something we can talk about. What's a "Desktop Environment"
> anyway? :-)
>
> > * center the person's name (aseigo)
> > * person data in black, KDE info in blue text (aseigo)

OK, that would be an option... not yet implemented

> In one of the drafts I've changed the background color for the KDE / personal
> information and centered the name.
>
> > * "less obtrusive" font, "too latex-ish" (??) (sebas)
>
> What a pity, I really liked that font. This Bitstream Vera stuff in print form
> always looks a bit like: "What a pity they don't have good typographers in
> those free projects." Well, changed anyway in all new drafts.
>
> Just have a look at the new pdf and feel free to make modifications to the
> Scribus file yourself!
>
> Bye
> Tobias
>
> --