List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE name tags
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-09-07 4:23:12

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 06 September 2007, Tobias G. Pfeiffer wrote:
> There are some templates for business cards / name tags in the SVN, but
> none of them are really beautiful or useful in my eyes, so I thought it is
> time to create some that are :-) Since I think of name tags as more
> important, I created a draft for those (see attachment) and would

thanks for doing this =)

btw, we have professionally designed business cards. i don't think the
template is in svn, but we (KDE e.V.) print up cards for anyone who needs
them in the line of representing KDE. so cards aren't needed, though name
tags .. yes =)

that said.. some constructive (i hope =) input:

- less is more, particularly on the background. not only are complex gradients
difficult to get printed properly but they make it harder to read from a
distance.

- i'm not sure we need a department section ("KDE Promotion Team")?

- rather than spelling out "K Desktop Environment" perhaps we could us it to
explain what it is briefly, e.g. "Free Software For The Desktop" or some such
claim. we also probably don't need both the logo and the letters 'KDE' there;
one should suffice and the logo would probably be the winner imho.

- personally, i'd center the person's name or otherwise line it up visually
with one of the other elements on the card.

one nice trick to set apart name from company that i've seen on nametags is to
put the name in a strong font in black ink with the company marks in a
colour. so perhaps the text and logo could be the KDE blues and the name (and
email if included) could be in black; would make it easy to distinguish
between the two parts visually?

> What do you think is an appropriate size for them? The current size as in

name tag holders are pretty easy to find in 3"x4" and 3-1/2"x2-1/4". those
seem to be the two most common sizes, and it's probably a good idea to make
them conform to standard holder sizes so we can easily make them fit into
such holders.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se