List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Beta 2 announcement
From:       "Steve Tose" <stevetose () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-09-03 17:37:34

INFO PAGE
Question: codename is really "Duth"? Just checking...
Also, before I get started I'd like to point out that it seems like
you switch between American and English spellings using
'visualisation', but then 'stabilize'. Either is correct and I felt I
was nitpicking as either s or z is fine. I didn't change this in the
text.
I used !!!<>!!! around corrections hoping this would improve their visibility.
"...
Architectural

Long time KDE developer Daniel M. Duley (aka. Mosfet) joined us again.
He developed Blitz, a graphics !!!<LIBRARIES>!!! designed to fill the
gap for the KDE libraries !!!<WHILE>!!! we wait for Zack Russin's
Quasar. He introduced himself and his work (again) in this Commit
Digest. And it is not just Blitz which is on his mind, he is working
hard to introduce some great performing yet easy to use graphical
tricks for the KDE developers.

Another basic component of the KDE libraries also received some
attention. Mickael Marchand !!!<SPENT>!!! some time on Kconfig, the
Configuration system for KDE. When committed, his work will make it
possible to support several backends for the KDE configuration,
including SQL.

Meanwhile, several developers threw themselves at the better support
for BSD and Sun in KDE!!!<PERIOD>!!! Strigi now has XSESAM support and
Marcus continued to work on the Avogadro 3D molecule visualisation
library and !!!<ITS>!!! integration in Kalzium. Chemical data is in
good hands on the KDE desktop these days, seeing how !!!<STRIGI
ALSO>!!! received support for chemical files.

Sebastian Pipping !!!<SPENT>!!! a lot of time on Kate, KDE's advanced
text editor (or lightweight Development Environment). He improved the
way search works in Kate, both making it more powerfull and easier to
use. Now the component used in Kate to edit text happens to be used
throughout KDE for pretty much every text input widget you see, thus
applications like Kwrite but also Konqueror will profit from this!
Applications

 The applications got a lot of love. For example, Kolourpaint got many
features merged. Not only usability work and new effects but the
application got a lot more robust. Better handling of text, improved
scanning support and session management are just a few things that
have been improved in this easy to use image editor. Our old and
trusted KGPG got some love, in the usability area but also concerning
features. And Okular received further usability work. Amarok saw
integration with plasma, where plasma will provide the infrastructure
for the now much more central Context View. Imagine the ability to
drag'n'drop items from the context view on the desktop or !!!<TO AND
FROM>!!! the panels on the side of the screen !!!<REMOVED 'AND
BACK'>!!!
Summer of Code

A big, visible bulk of application and infrastructural work was added
to KDE when the Google Summer of Code students added their work. We
will go through some of these additions, but if you want to read more
we !!!<RECOMMEND>!!! the dot article about the KOffice SoC results and
the excellent interview series with Summer of Code students on People
Behind KDE, starting here.
Urs Wolfer's work on KRDC, the KDE Remote Desktop Client is finished
as well. Making use of libraries ensures the application's
maintainability in the long run. Coupled with new features like a
tabbed interface and much improved configuration, users can count on a
greatly improved remote desktop experience in KDE 4.0 !!!<SUGGEST 2
DASHES>!!! and beyond, as Urs is comitted to continue working on it!
Juan González Aguilera also !!!<SPENT>!!! time !!!<REMOVED 'ON'>!!!
getting some older tools freshened up, !!!<FOCUSING>!!! on Bluetooth
support in KDE.
 The KDE education project received much work, not the least on
Marble. It alone had three Summer of Code projects, with Andrew Manson
working on GPS support, Carlos Licea on 2D projection and Murad
Tagirov busy with KML support. But there has also been exciting work
on step by Vladimir Kuznetsov and on Kalzium by Marcus Hanwell. You
can check out find some !!!<VIDEOS>!!! if you want.
Next up

The following months will see fanatical work !!!<STABILIZING>!!! the
KDE applications and libraries, and the finishing touch on the
components not yet frozen. Two further !!!<BETAS>!!! are planned,
after which KDE will be frozen for a release candidate cycle ending in
a release planned around Christmas at the end of the year.
KOffice Releases Third Alpha

Along with KDE 4.0 Beta 1, KOffice releases its third alpha version.
This version is released as a technology preview to let the public
catch a gleam of what is coming in KOffice version 2.0. It does not
have the same level of maturity as the rest of KDE 4.0 Beta 1. The
infrastructural changes are enormous. KOffice version 2 series will
take full advantage of the improved Qt 4, giving it new features like
text directionality and !!!<AN IMPROVED LAYOUT>!!!
..."
Anyway, hope these suggestions help. I am sometimes particular about
wording in cases where it is only a personal choice. I tried to avoid
this and only make helpful corrections. Nice job on your work, and
thanks for noting (no pun intended) music notation in flake! I am off
to learn more as that is very exciting.

Steve