List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] 4.0 release delayed cited
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-09-01 19:54:14

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 01 September 2007, Eric Krüse wrote:
> This is exactly what Mr. Shuttleworth was talking of at AKademy; Gnome
> drops stuff to keep their release schedule and we do not..... If we were
> more reliable maybe a derivative of Ubuntu would not be KUbunutu but
> GUbuntu.

mark himself said that release cycles such as 4.0 don't fit into this scheme
of things (and that gnome is in need of such a thing soon as well, in his
opinion).

moreover, when we are doing our normal release cycles we don't extend for
features that don't make it. don't believe me? go back and check proposed
feature lists and actual feature commits.

we have traditionally been within a week or two of our schedule at most,
usually due to stabalization (and once i believe to a security concern, iirc)

in other words, this "kde doesn't know how to keep a schedule" is complete and
utter bullshit and i'm tired of hearing it. it's like people have an amnesia
that begins the day after 3.5.7 came out. seriously.

now, what mark was REALLY saying is he'd like every release cycle to be the
*same* length, posted broadly, preferably 6 months and preferably sync'd with
(surprise!) ubuntu. we'll, we he actually said "with other free software
projects" but that's code for "with ubuntu" as far as i'm concerned.

btw, remember when Canonical slipped release dates on *buntu by a 2 months or
so? yeah, even they get it.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se