List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] KDE commercial video
From:       "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Franz_Keferb=F6ck?=" <franz.keferboeck () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-08-27 15:52:46

Hi artists and promo people,

just recently the LinuxMCE project came up with a demo video (LINK)
that was well on different channels as far as i've seen. On aKademy
Mark Shuttleworth played the Novell/SuSE commercials (for those few
who _still_ don't know em: LINK) and there's last but definitely not
least RedHats "Truth Happens" video commercial (LINK), always again
causing goose skin [LOOK UP!].
All three are very different, the first a one hands-on demo, very
concrete. Novell was doing a follow-up on the "Hello, I'm a Mac"
commercials by Apple, still Linux does play an active role in there.
Truth Happens is the most interesting one, not until the final beats
you will not see any linux specific still it's the most emotionally
involving one.

I started with booth work, where 2-3 boxes are running KDE and when
people have questions or want to be shown the new version we do so -
fp. However - and this is very obvious on the "business days" -
there's people who just _don't know_ what KDE is, there's either KDE
or Gnome on any of the other boxes in the big hall, now by just
passing by and seeing a nice'n'pretty Oxygen poster (which, don't get
me wrong, _is_ nice and pretty!) and a box running, no app started.
That's for sure not attracting!

In fact, KDE being/creating a Desktop Environment is actually in a
difficult situation rather than an easy one, although creating visual
elements (think of a multimedia framework only, they'll have some
videos with some realtime effects running and people will stop and
look). The many screencasts of Compiz (vs. Vista or whatever...
there's plenty on YouTube) are funny for a second, but boring when
they want to show you yet another useless effect. So what to do?

To make it straight: i don't know! However, Nuno provided us with some
really cool commercial sound (you'll find it in svn
trunk/playground/Oxygen/sounds or so...) but we are lacking the
commercial. A commercial which could be used on booths, on digital
media (think kubuntu example content!?), on our website and of course
Mountain View keynote (which could imply that we should keep it low
until Jan 17th and then drop it on the website, show it at the
keynote, ... keep it fresh till then).

I personally do not have any experience with video/commercials
production, i'm generally not to be considered all too visually
creative, but there's a strong artists community now, there might be
some with ideas and actual input. When it comes to putting it all
together, i do have a solution though: I'm happy that Lisa Kastner -
she's in CC, not on any of the lists yet, so please add her on
replies! - is willing and definitely able to do this job for and with
us. She is studying film- and tv producer, has a lot of experience
with cutting (she's currently cutting movie trailers and teasers for
the german-speaking cinemas in munich, so yes, she knows what she's
doing; however, don't bother her what movies are worth watching in
fall, she's not allowed to tell) and general producing (obviousely) of
videos, however, it's us who need to come up with ideas and possibly
material (i don't quite know how this works, but i'm sure she can tell
better once we get somewhere...). Maybe (hopefully) there's some
experts who can do right this reading this very email... ;-)

Well, so much for now, so much for the proposal... ideas, comments, flames?

greets
Franz

PS:
Lisa is not yet familiar with our way of communication, but any answer
we get until 6:30pm i can discuss with her in person: i'm in munich
atm (having a beer, what else), and i'll meet Lisa in the evening to
have another beer and probably discuss that a bit. By 6:30 i'll have
another internet slot...

--
Kepler University Linz
KDE Marketing - http://www.kde.org