List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] s/project/community
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2007-05-13 16:04:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 12 May 2007, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> On Saturday 12 May 2007 11:32:32 jos@mijnkamer.nl wrote:
> > "The KDE project released ..."
> > You can say "The KDE communit released ...", right?
>
> No. In this case I'd say it's the Project. Seriously, there's another big
> difference between those: A community doesn't necessarily have a
> responsibility apart from a social one.
> On the other hand if I hear about a project releasing something then I
> expect at least a somewhat hierarchical structure behind with points of
> contacts and single people who are responsible for certain tasks.

I could imagine this is what Albert referred to as "less professional".

Maybe it isn't actually a problem of the word community by itself, rather that
it is being used untranslated in other languages, thus loosing some of its
original meanings and being associated with only a subset or even new ones
like "unorganised bunch of people with similar goals".

Unfortunately I am not sure that a translation, e.g. "KDE Gemeinschaft" for
German press releases, will be any better.

I think in German I would prefer "KDE Team": emphasis on "group of people"
rather than an abstract entity "project", but still with a strong suggestion
of "focus"

I am all for having a known vocabulary when talking about different aspects of
KDE, but IMHO we should get more feedback from our l10n people what kind of
differentiations they might have to use, e.g. to avoid ambiguities

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring