List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Cebit article for dot.kde.org
From:       Alexander Neundorf <neundorf () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-03-31 15:59:43

Hi,

Ok, how about this ?
Does somebody more talented at writing feel like finishing this ?

KDE was present at Cebit 2007 in Hannover, the worlds largest IT fair.

<insert DSCF0428.JPG here>

The event went very well for the KDE project. On Thursday, when the exhibition
started we occupied booth G64, directly next to the Debian booth. There was
only WLAN available, which not all of our demo boxes had, but the friendly
Debian guys were so kind to let us connect to their wired ethernet switch, so
we finally had network. We attracted a lot of visitors and it turned out that
the booth was a bit small for us.
<insert p1010963-small.jpg here>

So our Debian friends arranged that we could exchange the booth with Franz
Schmid, who presented Scribus. So starting from Saturday we had a bigger
booth available with two demo points.

Joost Sander (kubuntu), Sabina Weiland (kubuntu), Andre Wöbbeking (long
time KDE developer), Melissa Steinhagen (first time contributor :-), Alex
Neundorf (long time KDE developer)
DSCF0480.JPG

There we had the Gnomes as direct neighbours. This turned out to be a lot of
fun and we helped each other were we could. The days of animosity between KDE
and Gnome developers (if there ever was this) are long gone.

Thanks to our great community the KDE booth was always very well staffed, both
by experienced KDE contributors and our friends in the kubuntu and Fedora
communities, but also the first time contributors Melissa Steinhagen, Tobias
Pfeiffer and Steven van der Vegt. It's nice to see such enthusiastic new
contributors coming to KDE :-)

We had a lot of interesting talks with visitors. There were very different
groups of visitors. Some of them were experienced KDE users and maybe we were
able to motivate some of them to contribute to KDE theirselves. Then there
were also visitors completely new to Linux, we could show them that nowadays
Linux with KDE is a viable if not even more powerful alternative to the
commercial offerings. I guess the most asked question was: "what will KDE4 be
like ?". These visitors we could show some bleeding edge KDE4 applications.

Due to the generous support from SUSE (OpenSUSE ? Novell ?), kubuntu
(ubuntu ?) and Fedora we were able to give away a lot of CDs/DVDs to visitors
so they could get a real-life impression from the power of KDE (or
better "free software" ?).

... maybe some more text about the support by Juergen Gerner (tickets), the
marketing stuff (T-shirts), the donations we collected, the boothbox, the
accomodation ?

Bye
Alex