List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Tasks for SpreadKDE
From:       Sebastian =?utf-8?q?K=C3=BCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-03-15 10:53:49

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 15 March 2007 11:25:03 C.M.Lotion wrote:
> > > We try to make them curious about SpreadKDE, and make them realize
> > > they can help us get better. By showing tasks immediatly, we feel that
> > > we are skipping some important steps.
> >
> > One of the biggest reasons stopping people volunteering is that they
> > don't have a clear idea of what they could help with. Providing a clear
> > list of tasks, and a means of sharing them amongst existing volunteers
> > and new recruits, is one of the most important and basic tasks for group
> > facilitators / coordinators, and this carries across to KDE promotional
> > work.
> >
> > To my mind there's no reason *not* to show this information to anonymous
> > visitors, so it should definitely be public. Show people what they can
> > do!
> >
> :-) that's sooooo true.

I am strongly convinced that the task list needs to be open. In general,
everything that is on SpreadKDE should be open. (Exceptions are pages with
private information, such as some of the business cards pages.)

Being open is one of our strongest assets. Furthermore, having people register
doesn't help us. Lots of people are put off by the need to register, and
others will only register to see the task list. I don't think that
registration being mandatory for viewing the task list brings us one more
volunteer, the opposite indeed is true. Registration is a means to an end
(personalising the framework, safety net for contributing content), nothing
more.

On the other hand, being able to point everyone to a list with clearly defined
tasks makes it a lot easier for new volunteers to advance from the "I wanna
help!" to the "I'm claiming this task / I've finished this task, what's up
next?" phase. Making our work tangible is a good thing.

> >[...]
> >
> > > The one you actually see is the "anonymous" front page.The other one
> > > is being
> > > worked on. http://dev.spreadkde.org/node/97 is gonna be the "logged
> > > in" homepage. any comments are welcome.

I like the idea of having dynamic content on the frontpage, so mission
statement and some dynamic stuff (events for a good start, most active tasks
maybe).

> > Again, I really don't see why you have this distinction. KDE Promo isn't
> > a cool people club, we want to be inclusive and open, make people want
> > to get involved.
>
> Hey, wait a second, we _are_ cool and inclusive ;-)

I a way, yes. (This is a bit offtopic, but I've been discussing this lately,
so I definitely have something to add.) Feel free to ignore my rambling. :-)

KDE, (not only the developers community, but also very much the promo
community) is a very challenging project. In order to contribute, you need
the following skillset:

- Being able to work independently
- Being creative
- Being persistant
- Being able to communicate efficiently via email / IRC
- Not being easily put off by others
- Being able to cooperate and work in a team

Those skills are not normal for most people. We all have seen people coming by
that want to help, some of them drop off because they do not have those
skills, or their expectations do not match our way of working. Some expect
very formal communication, top-down decision-making, clear policies and
things always being finished in time. The situations where all those
expectations are met simply do not occur. So contributors have to deal with
some unexpected behaviour. Most of that comes straight from the fact that
we're doing voluntary work.

Nevertheless, I do absolutely admire the KDE Marketing Team / Promo Community.
We have made excellent progress during the last two years, from a relatively
small group, we've grown a sustainable, culturally diverse and most important
well-functioning sub community of the KDE project. Something to be very proud
of. The KDE Promo Community is IMO the most productive and successful
promotional team in the Free Software world and serves as an excellent
example for others.

So everyone, keep up the excellent work, and let's make KDE rock even more
(and have people know that!).
--
sebas