List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] In need for name of a project
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-01-26 21:13:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 26 January 2007 12:32, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > ok.. so there would be both a framework name as well as an application
> > name. the appname should, imho, be simple and descriptive of the purpose.
> > frameworks can get 'funky' names but apps should remain identifiable to
> > users if at all possible...
>
> Don't we have the generic name for this? ;)

generic names are helpful but don't solve the problem. to disambiguate
between "address books" people use the name of the application. if you look
at some platforms, the names are pretty straightforward and obvious (at least
once you hear what they do; windows and mac os both fall into this category)
while on others they don't (e.g. gnome and to a lesser extent kde). i get a
lot of feedback from people that they really don't like the overly abstract
application names because it makes it too hard to remember what is what or to
communicate effectively with others.

kimdaba used to be a favourite example of mine, but they fixed that: now it's
kphotoalbum. much better.

look at gnomemeeting which is now ekiga for an example in the reverse
direction.

> It would be something like "Persons and Groups/Projects manager". Or
> "People manager". Or?

that would be a good generic name, but the application should also have a
clear actual name imho.

the framework can be funkier due to the audience.

> > > I guess being vCard compatible is needed very much. The experimental
> > > code I did so far is build on simply using the KABC interface, so it
> > > might be possible to express the model in vcard terms. At least I am
> > > optimistic. Sure, there will be data loss when exporting to the
> > > vCard-only world. And
> >
> > yes, i would expect this to be a largely one-way operation, with export
> > resulting in loss of information.
> >
> > but since this is already in the pipe, we
> > don't have to avoid something that might imply contacts.
>
> Sorry?

i was concerned that if this framework was not going to be interoperable with
simple vCard clients, that the name should not imply "contact information"
too strongly since that could well mislesad people. evidently that's not an
issue so we're open to more variety in names.

> > would this framework possibly replace KABC (possibly consuming KABC as an
> > internal component for vcard reading?) as the preferred system for
> > contacts storage and retrieval?
>
> More or less, yes.

ah, definitive answers ;)

--