List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] In need for name of a project
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <kossebau () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-01-26 19:32:05

Am Freitag, 26. Januar 2007 19:22, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Friday 26 January 2007 5:07, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > > is there a "social networking" aspect to this, such that one can create
> > > relationships between people (groups?) and record various types of
> > > information?
> >
> > On my sketch is that there can be links between persons, and persons and
> > groups, and groups and groups, so yes. But I have only a few use cases,
>
> ok, so the name may want to take into consideration the ideas of fuller
> representation of the individual and networks/relationships between them.

So I think :)

> > > for that matter can someone push their persona out to other
> > > people's models much as we exchange contact information with vCards
> > > today?
> >
> > At last aKademy Torsten Rahn proposed in a discussion to just drop KABC
> > resources and import the addressbook directly from Xing/openBC. Not
> > something I personally would advocate, after all ones contact data is/can
> > be sensitive. Same with binding to single providers, perhaps an P2P
> > approach is the better idea anyway. Or both.
>
> yeah, i think this idea has very limited application as well. e.g. i'm
> really not sure how this would work out in most corporate environments.

Limited, but something to prepare as option for those who would like it, if
the cost isn't to high and someone does the work, I think.

> > But yes, it is be an interesting idea. I hope that the aspect of
> > synchronizing ones data (partially) with other databases is orthogonal to
> > the modelling and can be done later/by some who want this :)
>
> i was mostly referring to me being able to send you information from my
> store, much as i can with a vCard now, but with all this extended data on
> the individual.

Given a standardized format, or vcard field names, this should be possible. Or
what do you mean by store? Your "company"? Data storage?

> i would assume this would be possible, but i'm wondering if
> this "sharability" is at all intended to be an interesting and core part of
> the system?

Not sure what you are up here, but the data should be of course
transferable/exchangeable with others? You mean approaches to the problem
that links to other persons or groups cannot make use of uuids, because there
is no common id system? Yes, not in the scope right now, but for
import/export something to be solved later.
I try one step after the other :)

Friedrich