List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] [8/8] Future of the Marketing Working Group
From:       Sebastian =?iso-8859-15?q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-11-21 12:28:54

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 11:22, Daniel Dotsenko wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 November 2006 01:29, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > On Tuesday 21 November 2006 10:03, Daniel Dotsenko wrote:

> > > Short:
> > > I personally witnessed on this Promo list MWG member(s) demonstrating
> > > single-mindedness and trying to stifle diversity in the KDE's message
> > > and applicability for no good reason, but to give orders. Closer
> > > oversight from "stakeholders" would ensure vital openness and would
> > > constantly remind the other parties that they are sharing the ride with
> > > other passengers. > wider / better focus = less chance for lopsided /
> > > exclusionary message.
> >
> > While I understand your concern, I think you missed the single most
> > important point: [blah] is the result of strategic analysis. Traces
> > thereof
>
> can be found on SpreadKDE... [5 paragraphs of text]
>
> :) Exactly my point. A very sane explanation about fitting KDE into a box
>
> of "technology product" and a failure to look outside of the box.
>
> Drug companies market to endusers, while knowing that only doctor will be
> able to prescribe the right mix. KDE will be mixed on demand, don't box it
> in.

Have a look at the relationship management pages on SpreadKDE.org. And please,
pretty please do your homework before discussing that stuff all over again.

One of the relevant pages on SKO is http://www.spreadkde.org/node/31 (let me
know if you can't access the pages, and I'll give you the right karma).
Also take into account the email "[kde-promo] [6/8] Distribution Channels".

On a different note, distributors will answer a demand in the market, that
demand has to come from end users. It is important to foster this demand on
the end user side of things, and at the same time make it easy for
distributors to work together with KDE. Huzzah, one of the reasons why I went
to the Ubuntu Dev Summit two weeks ago.

Bottom line here: Please try to understand what we're working on. I smell a
lot of negative energy, criticism without a proper alternative,
underestimation of other people's work, work that you don't seem to have
absorbed in the first place.

> I have seen "aunt VIlma types" happily using Linspire. Retirement-age men,
> looking for a new hobby / attachment would come to our booth at Scale and
> talk to me how exciting it is to be discovering this new tools, struggling
> and feeling the community behind it. Those were almost actual aunt Vilma's
> already using KDE, excited about it, and spitting from high heavens on the
> technology adoption curve.

I'm afraid that you're missing the point again. While Aunt Vilma might be a
valid usecase for optimising the user interface, it's not the one making the
decision to switch. In that respect, seeing her as a target group for
marketing efforts is pointless, optimising the user interface for Aunt Vilma
types is another story (and one we've been dealing with in collaboration with
the HIG people).

Again, please use the material we have as a starting point. If you have
concerns about the correctness of the results so far, please point out where
in the process of the analysis it has gone wrong. We'll most definitely not
restart the research work from a blank page, the whole point is that we can
correct false assumptions in the chain of logic.

The concept is not "have someone put a lot of work in a structured way to
tackle the problem" and then, if someone else doesn't like the result, throw
it away without having an alternative (an alternative being a strategic
concept which is *not* based on guesswork).
--
sebas

It is necessary for the welfare of society that genius should be privileged to
utter sedition, to blaspheme, to outrage good taste, to corrupt the youthful
mind, and generally to scandalize one's uncles. - George Bernard Shaw