List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] promo through tutorials with real life examples (was:
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <friedrich.w.h () kossebau ! de>
Date:       2006-10-11 14:08:57

Am Dienstag, 10. Oktober 2006 21:08, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Tuesday 10 October 2006 12:24, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 10. Oktober 2006 18:02, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> > > On Tuesday 10 October 2006 4:02, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Sabayon's nicest parts are fatally flawed. the "do it in an xnest window"
> has real issues on thin client systems, as was demonstrated to me (and a
> room full of people) a few months ago at an ubuntu conference.

Curious... what breaks there with thin client systems?

> > > a "app recomendations" site? e.g. that lists categories and then the
> > > application for that category that is recommended, with a screenshot,
> > > short description and a couple of links? in other words, something more
> > > centralized and edited versus the community bazaar that kde-apps.org
> > > is?
> >
> > No, more of the type: "Cool, I solved this and that problem with it.",
> > showing that it works. "Really works", not only "Should work" (as it was
> > e.g. with KOffice mostly, sorry). Real life tutorials. Tutorial wiki.
> > User maintained docs. Or something. Things you find with Google and get
> > impressed, seeing a solution for your problem. 3rd party KDE apps like
> > KNoda here should get (inofficially) helped with promotion, too.
>
> ah, so a task-oriented set of howtos? (trying to understand better here =)

Yes, with real life examples, not made up ones.

> > New tutorials could be in a monthly KDE journal... just thinking aloud.
>
> would this work well with Daniel's thoughts on "example workflows"?

Yes, that direction (do not have a very clear idea, myself). And they should
be references, from externals. Cannot back it, but I think external
references work well for a better reputation and trust in the advertised
promises, guess that is why references are used in many other places (product
ads, job applications, ...).

Friedrich