List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] New wiki for developer.kde.org
From:       Olaf Jan Schmidt <ojschmidt () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-08-11 13:34:54

[ Carsten Niehaus ]
> I wasn't clear enough it seems and after reading my mail again I am
> sure ;-) This is supposed to be a testrun, not the final solution. And
> my mail was supposed to be the start of the discussion.

The testrun can be very helpful to see whether Mediawiki is the right solution
for our plans, so by all means, go ahead.

Your initiative is very welcome. I just wondered why you posted this to
kde-promo and not to kde-www or kde-www-devel. If you spend time for migrating
existing KDE websites, then you should make sure that the people responsible
for kde.org benefit from your work.

> You have to maintain it, that takes your time. I guess that time could
> be spend somewhere else.

We will need to do the maintainance work in any case. The only question is
whether we need to maintain two or three frameworks (Capacity plus one CMS
and/or one Wiki) or forty (moving away all subsites of KDE.org to their own
framework and design one by one).

Creating accessible websites is hard, and my experience is that many
maintainers of KDE subsites simply ignore my advise, saying that they don't
have the time to properly set up the Wiki/CMS/whatever they are using. But if
we cooperate towards a common solution, then we can achieve this.

> AFAIK I can edit the page but only get the resulting diff or the new
> php-page. I have to change the php-file in my harddisk and commit.
> So I can as well edit the copy on my harddisk instead, right?

You can also email the diff to the web team, who will then apply it.

> In Capacity (btw, I read that name the first time today)

Yes, we chose the name only recently.

> doesn't support syntax-highlighting it seem.

I have never seen a wiki with syntax highlighting, but I agree with your
point. I am not sure yet how exactly we can improve this best, but it will be
easier in the future.

> If you already have a working solution somewhere: Even better.

No, we don't have anything running yet. We are still evaluating the exact
needs.

> Currently danimos server is empty, I just wanted to play with it to check if
> mediawiki is the right tool for developer.kde.org successor.

Great!

As I said, it would be good if both of you can join kde-www-devel to allow the
web team benefit from this test.

I am again trying to move the thread to that list. For kde-promo, this is
off-topic.

Olaf

--
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility co-maintainer, open standards
accessibility networker, Protestant theology student and webmaster of