List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] linux.conf.au 2007
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-31 15:30:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 31 July 2006 5:04, Brad Hards wrote:
> I'd like to understand who is still involved in KDE development (in the

Paul Campbell (paul AT taniwha.com) ... he does klaptopdaemon in kde3. he also
helped with kde's presence at last year's l.c.a.

> I think that there are three things we want to do for linux.conf.au:
> 1. We want to have KDE talks. In particular, I'd like to have at least a
> "state of KDE4 talk", perhaps with multiple presenters.
> 2. We want to support the "open day" activity - see the link in Clarence's
> email at the bottom. It might be nice to have a KDE booth - we need to get
> whatever resources the marketing group has already put together (banners,
> posters, etc).
> 3. It would be nice to have a KDE BOF session, where KDE users can meet
> some of the developers.
>
> Thoughts?

l.c.a is also a really, really great chance to network with other projects. if
there is the energy available, it may be nice to do an outreach program where
various projects could come together with kde to swap project needs and
status.

otherwise, i think what you've got above is really quite good.

last year the room was packed for the general kde talk (a few hundred people
all told) and the kiosk presentations (i forget if it was half a day or a
whole day? i think the latter) also filled the room it was in (30-40 people?)

the two days of kde devel instruction were decently attended as well with a
couple dozen people being there over the course of the sessions.

so there is evidently the appetite there for kde stuff. it would be nice to
see both developer and sys admin topics covered again this year to keep those
topics hot in the region. we need users, but we also need contributors.

random thought: a "create a kde application" session would be cool where
people actually come and make their first kde app live in the classroom along
with instructors. maybe have someone going through the generic process step
by step while a couple others roam the room giving hands-on help as needed?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Undulate Your Wantonness