List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] linux.conf.au 2007
From:       Sebastian =?iso-8859-1?q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-30 10:53:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Attachment #4 (multipart/mixed)]

On Sunday 30 July 2006 10:14, Clarence Dang wrote:
> As you may know, linux.conf.au [http://conf.linux.org.au/] is being held at
> UNSW, Sydney January 15-20.  I met Brad yesterday and he suggested that
> some KDE people from Australia run a presentation or similar (hence, I've
> CC'ed everyone I know from Australia).  I think this is a great idea!
>
> Personally, I have never been to a linux.conf but as I live in Sydney, it
> would be remiss of me not to go this time and help promote KDE.  So, I have
> a few questions:
>
> 1. Who wants in?

I'd love to, but the travel expenses would probably be a bit too much :-)

> 2. Do we need any special permission from KDE i.e. the business about "this
> does not reflect official KDE views" etc.?

No.

> 3. Any ideas on what we could present in addition to the standard
> Qt4-Plasma-Akonadi-Phonon-Solid-Oxygen?  I'm thinking we could focus on the
> desktop experience - apps like Amarok, okular, konqueror.  Are there also
> any particularly excellent slides on KDE4 we could reuse/rehash?

That's a good list already. I often makes sense to think about the target
groups, and prepare a couple of topics in advance. People *will* ask about
KDE4, so have some "Qt4-Plasma-Akonadi-Phonon-Solid-Oxygen"+DBus knowledge at
hand. The only thing we settled for is a tech-preview in Octobter.

> 4. I note that there is also an "Open
> Day" [http://conf.linux.org.au/about/openday].  Do you think a KDE stall
> fit there in terms of the flavour of the day?

Absolutely. If you can pull it off, that's great.

> I'm really thrilled and excited about this and I would be happy to do the
> heavy lifting to get this going.

Cool! Let us know if you need more guidance.

We have prepared an event guide at SpreadKDE.org. It probably contains useful
information, you can find it at

http://www.spreadkde.org/handbook/events

I've also put together a handout for Linuxtag in Germany, it's attached. This
handout gives mainly practical information for the booth babes and should
streamline KDE's attendance a bit more so the volunteers are able to make
more of their time. You might want to adjust it in a few places, of course.

Note that the documentation is written from mostly European perspective, and
the culture of those events might differ after travelling around the world.
Additions and corrections are welcome.

> The submissions deadline is in 1 month: September 1, 2006.  As far as I can
> see, this is just for a 400 word proposal so we have a few more months to
> hash out the details - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for taking the initiative!
--
sebas

Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the
grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen an angry penguin
charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what
they say if they had. - Linus Torvalds

["Infopaper-Linuxtag-staff.odt" (application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text)]