List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE-Quarterly
From:       Sebastian =?utf-8?q?K=C3=BCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-25 22:00:45

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 20:24, Carsten Niehaus wrote:
> Am Dienstag 25 Juli 2006 16:33 schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
> > We should try to maintain this effort though, it really helps us and the
> > outside world who wants to read once in a while what's going on in KDE
> > land -- especially in a time where we're not doing a major release until
> > KDE4 is done.
>
> Ok, so what is the plan? ;-)
>
> A Quarterly about April, May, June is a bit late already. A
> May,June,July-Quarter is a bit stupid, isn't it?

I think it's fine to just start with what's going on. Retroactive it is
probably less fun, and we're all following the news anyway.

> What about a KDE-Quarterly for July, August, September and as it is the
> first one with a "Special Feature" about May and June as they are written
> anyway?

Why Quarterly, btw? It is subdivided into months already ...

> - Then, what about a Digest-chapter in it where all Digests of the
> timeframe are linked?
> - What about a "Major Releases"-Section where big KDE-App-Releases
> (Rosengarden, K3B, Amarok, KOffice, KDE, vim, KDevelop...) will have a
> place? That would mean that all "KDE 3.5.x-was released"-type of texts
> would move into one section and the main-part would be more about new
> technology and social aspects.
> - Perhaps a  Distro-section with announcements of KDE-friedly Distors? Ok,
> that is a snakepit...
> - A "others about KDE"-section where we link to articles where other media
> (zdnet, msdn ;-), gnome, osdl, tt, ...) wrote stuff about KDE...

What about those sections:

- Software releases: contains apps release such as amarok, koffice and KDE
  releases with links to changelogs and release notes
- Important developments: App snizzle can now read your mind, more
  architectural stuff such as dmake is now our new buildsystem, and
  interesting blogentries
- Community news: KDE present at UNIX Tag in Antarctica (are there ants in
  antarctica, btw?), KDE e.V. joins fellowship of the Ring, Linus Torvalds new
  maintainer of KNotes
- Distro and wider community news: examples: HiphopLinux releases with KDE2,
  GNOME finally gets ported to Qt (links to articles and blogs)

- Other news: Wade won the triathlon and therefore looses geekpoints, Tom
  finally bought a car, maybe some "coming up ..." things, such as meetings
  that are planned, event attendance that's planned (those are really
  interesting in advance)

The structure can be kept pretty loose, just to give some idea of

> Ok, just some brainstorming to clean my brain ;-)

Same here. :-)
--
sebas