List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE-Quarterly
From:       Sebastian =?iso-8859-15?q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-25 14:33:52

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 13 July 2006 09:33, Carsten Niehaus wrote:
> Even though I don't use FreeBSD I really like reading their quarterly
> report, the latest issue from two days ago...
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2006-July/064524.html
>
> The KDE e.V. is now also issuing such reports which very important because
> non-e.V. members can read what this 'secret society' is doing ;-)
>
> http://ev.kde.org/reports/ev-quarterly-2006Q1.pdf
>
> Ok, I have time and motivation this weekend to create a first KDE-quarterly
> (April - June) if somebody would join me. Somebody has to do the first step
> so I created a first version:
>
> http://www.spreadkde.org/node/129/
>
> Everybody can view it, all authenticated users can edit it. Would you like
> to help out or discuss it?

It's an excellent mean for people to get an overview over what's currently
happening. It fits pretty well in our strategy of providing information about
what's happening to the outside world, but it's also an excellent tool to
help us keeping track of what's happening. Think of people on vacation: I
experienced it myself very lately, when returning after three weeks of
awayness, I had a hard time to get hold of what happened in the meantime. The
dot is not detailed enough for that, planetkde is too finegrained already --
so are mailinglist (it took me three days to read through the bigger part of
it, and I'm still not done yet).

We should try to maintain this effort though, it really helps us and the
outside world who wants to read once in a while what's going on in KDE
land -- especially in a time where we're not doing a major release until KDE4
is done. And of course it helps journalists who want to write something about
KDE and don't have the time to follow development very closely. It's also a
great way for people to contribute, people who have a bit of time once in a
while and who are following planetkde and a couple of mailinglists anyway.

Thanks for starting this initiative!
--
sebas

Political language [...] is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder
respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. - George
Orwell, 1984