List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Take a look at Linux1.no
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-06-18 12:06:06

On Sunday 18 June 2006 13:06, Birger Kollstrand wrote:
> Would you say that a stetment like "KDE is consistently using modern object
> oriented programming in C++ while Gnome is based upon legacy functional c
> programming" is bashing Gnome and should be avoided?

IMO, yes, it is. Especially the words "modern" and "legacy" give the message a
strong subjective slant.

(And that's not even considering the fact that statements about programming
languages are flamebait in any case, and highly subjective by nature too. C
isn't by definition "legacy" and I wouldn't call C++ "modern". If it wasn't
because of all the cool things that Qt offers on top of the language our
choice of C++ would be better-than-C at best, but plain C++ is becoming
outdated rapidly too.)

So, if you want to go the language route, do something like "KDE is using
object oriented and component-based programming techniques for all its code.
KDE's foundation library Qt provides functionality that that enhances the C++
language with features like introspection and makes it one of the most
powerful development platforms available today."

--
Martijn