List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Project naming
From:       Frans Englich <englich () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-06-06 18:48:10

On Tuesday 06 June 2006 19:00, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 June 2006 16:33, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > On Tuesday 06 June 2006 17:04, Stefan Nikolaus wrote:
[...]

> Didn't they already go for "Patternist"?

I posted the mail here on kde-promo the 31th, but then yesterday or so I saw,
with a slight horror, this thread came to life!

Yes, in the weekend I issued a couple of sed commands over the source since
there was no follow-ups by that time, so Patternist is deployed.

However, the reason I haven't popped into this thread saying "Guys, save your
energy, the name is already chosen," is that it would be untrue. I wouldn't
hesitate investing the required time in a second rename in case a better name
popped up or a problem was identified with the current.

I can't really give a good reason to why Affinity, Transformer or any of the
other excellent suggestions are better than Patternist -- or vice versa.
However, I do think that these kind of brain storms are very useful. From the
perhaps five or six suggestions one can come up with together with ones
co-developer, one can get fifty or sixty suggestions where perhaps seven or
eight names are all top-notch. And exactly which name from that top layer
that is chosen, is pretty much a matter of just arbitrary taste, I think.

Nevertheless, for the purpose of practicing our naming skills, I comment on
some of the suggestions:

-- Transformer
A good quality about this is that its functional. I think one directly
associates what's about. Well, I think one can get XQuery and XPath under the
roof too with a little good will, since they nevertheless creates something
new, even if it only is a selection or different kind of representation. What
makes me tip towards Patternist, which also is functional, is that I
think "Patternist" is more exotic, while Transformer is a orbdinary. And that
surely is taste.

-- Gluon
It is a great name -- if one knows about molecule physics. I think it's
important that a name "snaps" directly, there should be no room for the
why-question: "Why is it called that?"

-- Affinity
Again, very nice, and has the same dilemmas as Gluon, I'd say. For example,
googling for "define: affinity" yields answers which can be difficult to
connect to XSL-T/XPath/XQuery if one isn't deep in the field.

Determining The best name is like other kinds of communication: subjective.

Cheers,

		Frans