List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] suggestions for next release process:
From:       Tom Chance <tom () acrewoods ! net>
Date:       2006-06-02 21:18:20

Ahoy,

On Friday 02 June 2006 19:09, Danil Dotsenko wrote:
> But that was the whole point of "safety net" idea. With advanced warning
> combined with thought-through "public safety net framework" - there
> shouldn't be a need for highly-involved coordinator. One would just timely
> initiate the process and mark the milestones.
>
> Question: Historically, what is the chance of a release actually happening
> on the before-hand-planned release date? Can we rely on them, or would
> watching the "commit tag" be a better approach?

I think the only way we'll be able to work it is with a coordinator. Thinking
back the process has worked best when one person has been ultimately
responsible. With no person or persons responsible, everybody tends to think
somebody else will magically sort things out. All it really requires is that
one person is responsible for saying "hey guys and gals, the release is due
in a week", and if for some reason the promo community is asleep at the wheel
that person should be able to get a reasonable press release out him or
herself.

The coordinator(s) should be in the Marketing Working Group so they are fully
aware of KDE's overall marketing strategy when it comes to key messages and
so on in press material. The MWG can keep in touch with the Technical Working
Group, who have the ultimate responsibility for release dates. If the release
date slips the TWG should tell the MWG, who can update the promotion
community.

That seems fairly simple and transparent to me, without losing the grassroots
character of this promotion community.

Thankfully we can use the remaining 3.5.x releases to keep refining the
process, so that by the time we get some KDE4 releases approaching we don't
have these problems! That or we convince some company to sponsor a KDE press
person ;-)

Regards,
Tom

--
I'll give £100 to People & Planet if 20 people give £10.
Help me help this amazing student activist network!