List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] suggestions for next release process:
From:       Tom Chance <tom () acrewoods ! net>
Date:       2006-06-01 17:57:45

Ahoy,

On Thursday 01 June 2006 18:36, Danil Dotsenko wrote:
> 2 month warning is pretty much useless as a warning. No fixed bugs yet, no
> idea what the freshly baked release is all about. We need to figure out how
> to have a 7-5 day warning of already assured release.

To be fair there was ample warning and enough people on this list knew about
the date or at least where to find it, Carsten Niehaus prepared a changelog
well in advance and we even discussed the key messages with a week or so to
go. Yet Sebas was left pleading for somebody to finish stuff with little or
no response until it was too late.

What we need is somebody to be responsible for making sure the release notes
and press release go out on time. That person should also have the authority
to say "yes, these materials are ready to roll". He or she should be in
contact with the release dude and ensure that both parties (release & promo)
know what the other is doing. That person should also be good enough to tell
a crappy press release from a good one, and be fully aware of all the work
that needs to be done to distribute it once ready.

I did this for 3.5.0 but I admit that I was as useless as everyone else on
this list at making sure this happened again for 3.5.3, partially because
it's not so big and partially because I'm going through some stuff right now
that's making me a bit flaky at low-priority work :/

I'm willing to do it for 3.5.4, however.

Regards,
Tom

--
I'll give £100 to People & Planet if 20 people give £10.
Help me help this amazing student activist network!