List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Getting extra events section requirements for SpreadKDE
From:       Tom Chance <tom () acrewoods ! net>
Date:       2006-05-29 16:24:56

Ahoy,

Barbara recently described the current proposed setup of the events section of
SpreadKDE [REQ]. There is an annoying bug with the date field in the CCK
module that needs fixing before I'd feel comfortable rolling it out [BUG].

In the meantime it'd be good to brainstorm the requirements a bit more. To
elaborate on Barbara's description, here's how volunteer participation will
work: We will be able to "attach" tasks to events, and then use them to track
things like "Promotional materials needed" and "People attending". People can
then sign up to tasks and discuss them in the comments.

Unfortunately this system is quite limited. For example, event organisers will
still have to manually maintain a list of people attending with all the
relevant details in a task. There also won't be any way of bringing up alerts
such as "we need to register for this event within the next week!".

Neither of those two features can, so far as I can tell, be easily added in
using existing Drupal modules. So whilst we can get a basic events system up
and running (which, let's face it, will be a huge improvement already) if we
want to make it really shine we're going to have to develop some code, or
hook up with others working on events management stuff in Drupal.

I've emailed a guy at CivicSpace labs who has set out to improve things...
hopefully he'll bring me good news soon. In the meantime it would be good to
flesh out, in an orderly fashion ;), the kinds of features we'd like to see.

Regards,
Tom

[REQ] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-promo&m=114869634030770&w=2
[BUG] http://drupal.org/node/50062

--
I'll give £100 to People & Planet if 20 people give £10.
Help me help this amazing student activist network!