List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Contest: Working version of KOffice 1.5 on Windows,
From:       Jürgen_Appel <juergen_appel () gmx ! de>
Date:       2006-05-17 15:37:03

Am Mittwoch, 17. Mai 2006 13:11 schrieb Martijn Klingens:
> On Wednesday 17 May 2006 11:33, Jürgen Appel wrote:
> > /me thinks that having already paid 1000 $ in the last koffice contest
> > gives the person a _quite_ well reputation.
>
> Is this the same person then?

Quoting Kent Nguyen:

"This is the same person who made $1,000 offer for KOffice GUI
competition, and the payment was made.  This person can send the money
now to kde or koffice foundation for administering this competition.
This way it increases the truthfulness of this competition."

> > I assume he remained anonymus during the last contest as well.
>
> He may remain anonymous, but at the very least I'd like to see some more
> rationale behind this. It's an insanely short deadline (a month?!?) for a
> LOT of work. $3000 is not even remotely comparable to the $1000 of last
> contest, where it was a reasonable price in terms of required effort. $3k
> is NOT reasonable, it is more like freeriding. Not to mention that there's
> no Free software Qt available for KDE 3.

I see it makes little sense in the first place for the koffice development. It
*might* attract new persons who get insights in 1.5 and then continue coding,
it might be attractive for someone who would be working on 2.0 and then
instead works on this, I see this as worst case as well, but - are we to
decicde what people do with their time.

In case some1 outthere wants to go for the bounty, well give them the chance,
even the contest might not appear _that_ sane to us.

> And given that KOffice 2 will have all this when it's released I have the
> feeling that announcing this on the dot will do us more harm than good.

I fail to see how an announcement like "port ko1.5 to win" or "experimental
ko1.5 runs on win" does any harm further than the possibility mentioned
above.

enjoy the day,

Juergen.