List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Contest: Working version of KOffice 1.5 on Windows,
From:       Kent Nguyen <kent () mslinux ! com>
Date:       2006-05-17 13:52:57

Martijn Klingens wrote:

> On Wednesday 17 May 2006 16:32, Torsten Rahn wrote:
>

> > From the users/customers point of view this request does not only seem to be
> > reasonable, but also achievable -- although only when pouring a lot of money
> > into it.
> >

> Exactly. And $3k is not "a lot of money". Plus, the contest is aiming at
> tapping into the volunteer community, draining us from valuable contributors.

Your perception is looking at a _fixed_ existing volunteer base of
KOffice developers.  How many are there today that actually contribute
codes to KOffice?  How many more potential KOffice developers can you
recruit from this contest?

People who volunteer their time to work on KOffice are classified under
these conditions in priority orders:
1)  Paid by a sponsored company such as David Faure and Aaron Seigo.
2)  Commercial motive for contributing.
3)  Don't have a job and has some free time to work on KOffice.
4)  Bored.

The consequence of 1), if the sponsored company no longer provides the
fund for the person to develop, the person will slow his/her
contribution time.  I.e. ex-SUSE and ex-Mandrake developers.  The
consequence of 2), open source projects with momentum will have people
who contribute hoping to turn what they are doing into something of
value to the market.  I.e. thekompany who originally contributed to
Kivio.  The consequence of 3) is quite obvious.  People who originally
worked on project was offered a job, end up dropping the project because
of lack of time.  The consequence of 4) is like Linus Torvalds, he has
nothing better to do with his life than to work on Linux because there
he can boss people around.

2) and 3) are the potential KOffice developers, there are way more
people in those categories that are not contributing to KOffice today.
And that's the population the contest is focused.

The proof to all of this?  The previous KOffice GUI contest did attract
a number of designers and would-be developer.

Don't underestimate the power of $3,000.  It can produce one of the
greatest contributor to KOffice.  Be a student in India or a 16 years
old kid who has nothing better to do with his life than play games.  The
market is full of potential, and one of the best way to tap it is
through good competition.