List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Apple Mac Boasting about how Unix is the ultimate
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-05-04 11:57:05

On Thursday 04 May 2006 13:52, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 May 2006 10:10, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > And Klik worries me. It just doesn't 'feel' well
>
> Can you please help us?

Well, I already wrote down what I looked at, as I said it's a feeling, not
something I can back up with any data. I may be even entirely wrong here...

What worries me is that you are basically exposing complete file systems, with
all the risks of setuid and device inodes. Currently that risk seems not to
be there, but I'd much rather see a file format where it's impossible to even
*support* that kind of functionality in the first place, rather than relying
on mount flags and behavior to filter it out.

Also, from a sysadmin/kiosk point of view I'd really like to see the ability
to limit Klik to a predefined set of applications and/or to bundles that are
digitally signed (gpg?) by, say, the IT department or the KDE project.

That's all I can say. Besides, I'm no expert by any means. People like Dirk
Mueller or Richard Moore are infinitely more qualified here.

--
Martijn