List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Apple Mac Boasting about how Unix is the ultimate
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-05-02 22:15:33

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 15:30, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> We might have a better foundation than, say, Windows. But in the end we
> still have millions and millions of lines of code if you count everything
> from Kernel to Konqueror. There *will* be bugs in there. They *are* being
> found every single day. Already. As soon as we have a serious amount of
> users people *will* write exploits for our platform too.

apache has 60%+ of the web server market and is now the #1 SSL server as well.
and yet it's doing quite well, though it is heavily targeted (particular apps
written on top of it using languages like php).

so while popularity will garner the wrong kind of attention, the effect of
those efforts is what matters.

on the technical side, currently we do need to tighten up autostart and
probably .desktop file activation to name two areas we ought to improve
before we get too popular. both are being looked at and if we do get most of
these corners swept out before we're popular, we'll look even better as our
historical problems won't be well known only the ones that happen
post-popularity.

--
Aaron J. Seigo