List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Apple Mac Boasting about how Unix is the ultimate
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-05-02 21:30:08

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 22:21, Anthony Power wrote:
> Not really great timing as to this - see e.g.
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12537279/ ,
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31377

And perhaps even more interesting for those who don't follow security trends:

http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1301

To quote: "The big news (which isn't big news to our readers) is the
increasing visibility of malware targetting Mac OS X."

And the reason? Apple's increasing market share and user base.

The sole reason why we're not targeted yet is because we're still too small
and too scattered.

We might have a better foundation than, say, Windows. But in the end we still
have millions and millions of lines of code if you count everything from
Kernel to Konqueror. There *will* be bugs in there. They *are* being found
every single day. Already. As soon as we have a serious amount of users
people *will* write exploits for our platform too.

Question is not _if_ but _when_.

And ironically, the faster we become popular, the sooner we'll be facing
malware.

--
Martijn