List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Recent Article by Wade Olsen
From:       Tom Chance <tom () acrewoods ! net>
Date:       2006-04-06 18:51:15

Ahoy,

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 17:28 +0000, Mr Bulldog wrote:
> still, if  we getting some sort of control over what happens as there
> will never be an increased amount of people contributing if their
> isn't some or any control over what is planned ahead.

Central planning by some leader would not only be bad practice, it would
go against the hacker ethic that informs the entire KDE Project's
structure.

We have the Marketing Working Group to provide some coherence and
strategy, and certain individuals who through continued good work have
become de facto authority figures in certain areas. We have a list of
tasks that people can peruse if they want some guidance, most of which
are unassigned.  That's plenty.

> To illustrate this, if we don't get a specified scheme of how to
> produce kde graphics for marketing usage, such as the use of colours
> and style, many people who are graphic designers cannot see much point
> wasting or attempting to create something that may not be suitable.

That's being done, as far as I know, by the HCI and marketing working
groups with a range of usability experts, artists and coders. See, for
example:
http://www.oxygen-icons.org/?page_id=2
http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDE%20CIG

> Generally creating some control could help us turn ideas and
> discussions into a plan a head, and with someone who can think of a
> good strategy ahead with these ideas is what we need.

Strategy and vision are being worked on by the Marketing Working Group.
Those discussions are very much informed by what is said on this list,
though perhaps there should be more communication back to this list
about progress and the kinds of discussions going on? The task list on
httt://www.spreadkde.org/tasks is the end result of lots of strategic
discussions...

What, IMO, we need more than anything right now, and what we're getting
more and more as Wade pointed out, are people who will step up and work
on the tasks in that list, and suggest & work on new great ideas.

Regards,
Tom