List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Italian Linux Day gone
From:       Giovanni Venturi <gventuri73 () tiscali ! it>
Date:       2005-12-01 21:20:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Alle 23:16, luned́ 28 novembre 2005, Tom Chance ha scritto:
> Ahoy,
>
> On Monday 28 Nov 2005 22:16, Giovanni Venturi wrote:
> > like I told here I presented KDE 3.5 last friday in Napoli to my LUG's
> > Linux Day. If you think the presentation could be usefull I can put in
> > SVN or someone can tell me how to do or if someone want it.
> > I hope my second year presenting KDE to Italians Linux new users can let
> > me to become a KDE e.V. member a day  :). I'd like to.
> > Bye everyone,
> > Giovanni
>
> It would be interesting to hear how it went, what you feel worked well and
> what didn't go so well, how you could have improved it, etc.

Well, I'm part of the NaLUG from 2 years. NaLUG means "Napoli Linux Users
Group". The LUG are spread in all the cities and always at the end of
November of each year ILS (www.linux.it) announce the "Linux Day" dates. The
topic of the event is to promote Linux and the free software
(http://www.linux.it/LinuxDay/main.shtml), so as a KDE translator and
developer I have felt the necessity to talk about KDE to the Italian new
Linux users. This is the second year for me with my LUG. We posted the
announce of NaLUG Linux Day all around with the flyer about the event, I
personally posted on 2 famous Italian site the announce about the event
(www.wup.it, www.ziobudda.net), someone else on the University students
forums.
I helped some friend to found some link about the Trusted Computer to prepare
their presentation.
I worked on the presentation about KDE introducing the base of Linux and
talking about the story of Linux birth, KDE birth and the the GPL Qt
Trolltech story. After this I introduced all the main KDE feature. I talked
about the Malaga prize for KPDF authors, I talked about the edu project
showing Kalzium and KStars. I talked about KOffice and OpenDocument then
someone asked about the KDE development after I tryed to say "help KDE" :) .
Also if my presentation is quite big I showed it quickly using less then 40
minutes question included. I should do better next time. I think to divide my
future presentations in 2 parts. The first part just for the new users and
the second part for the people that use KDE every day and talk about the
develop about KDE (KParts, DCOP, create some application on the fly with
KDevelop).
Infact the 40% of the audiences of the Linux Day in Napoli use KDE and know
it, so could be more interesting talk them about the "behind the scenes
developing". Will be for the next year or for some other event :) .
In any case a lot of people liked my presentation. The were interested to try
KDE 3.5.0 so I talked them about Slax and few days later the presentation the
KDE 3.5.0 was released :D .
The University classroom (where there was the conferences) was quite full
60-90 people. I consider it a good result also because of the rain and some
block of the public transpots. :D . I hope I explained all without to be
boring :) .
> Good job giving the presentation though :)

My presentation is available here:
http://slacky.altervista.org/doc/LinuxDay-2005.kpr

Let me know when I can remove from it.
Regards,
Giovanni
--
A KDE Italian translator and KSniffer core developer
Slackware GNU/Linux current version - kernel 2.6.14