List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Improving release promotion process
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-30 0:09:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 15:00, Tom Chance wrote:
> I'd like to initiate a bit of critical self-reflection, already! How can we
> improve the way we promote major releases of KDE?

are we talking about a release like 3.5 or are we looking towards 4.0? 4.0
deserves some special considerations IMHO.

in either case, one thing that we could do better is in choosing our messages.
they do tend to be fairly random as opposed to picked because they are
central ideas we want to communicate clearly about KDE.

for instance, we have kiosk which is perhaps one of the most important
features we have when it comes to deciding to deploy or not and i don't think
it's featured majorly in any of our release announcements, really. usually we
don't mention it at all.

we also don't mention anything that would be of interest to the ISV segment.
coolo's quote mentions "development platform" in passing, but that's it.
nothing about bindings or the size of the dev community, etc...

i think in part this is because we concentrate almost exclusively on the
individual user in our announcements.

we do a good job on repeating the "N languages" aspect in each press release,
so we can be consistent. we just need to pick our messages.

> N.B. please be realistic, don't suggest outlandish things unless you're
> volunteering to do them yourself!

and here i was going to suggest we try and get elton john to do a theme song
for us ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo