List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Task request (or possibly two tasks)
From:       Wade Olson <wade () corefunction ! com>
Date:       2005-11-21 15:10:34

Hi all,

Here's a new task and the Marketing Working Group is looking for a volunteer.

Alternatively, this can be split into two tasks, with collaboration.

 Background
------------------
At a basic level, I don't know much about how close we are to our
various KDE distros.  Obviously at KLAX and Kubuntu we have close
contact with and plenty of KDE community overlap; others I'm not so
sure.

I think we should make an effort for some initial, structured contact
with those distros that have KDE as a default. Later, we can contact
distros that use both dektops or smaller gnome distros that we speculate might
be open to change, but let's start simple: our known friends.

Reason
-----------
We can refine the process over time, but the 3.5 release is as good a
time as any to contact them, and get some feedback.

It's also good because of the 3.5-4.0 wastland of time; we should use
this time with distros to connect more, get any feedback to help 4.0,
and hopefully engage them during the downtime and even get more
structured help during our likely long 4.0 testing phase.

The nice part is, this work will help our more structured marketing
approach.  It is fairly independent of larger projects, and the results
will help fulfill the requirements of the bigger intiatives to come.

First Contact
-------------------
I want to:
1) Thank them for choosing/using KDE and reaffirm their decision to do so
2) Get some initial feedback and set the stage for more meaningful
discussions down the road

Job description
--------------
I've created OpenOffice 2.0 generated Open document
containing some very basic survey questions and a list of KDE distros
from distrowatch.com.  This document can be sent to the volunteers.

I'd like the following done:
1) Have someone refine the list of distros - remove any that don't
make sense, and add any that are pertinent but missing (example: any
hot Asian or South American distros not included) and get contact
information per distro.

2) Take this starting list (in the document) of questions and make a easy
but useful survey.  I'd guess some 'rank 1 through 5, 1 being "Strongly disagree
with" and 5 being "Strongly Agree with"' language will be in there.
This list is just a launch point, I'd expect there's plenty of room
for improvement.

3) Have people figure out the format.  For this first run, maybe just
emailing out forms and getting docs back is fine (then aggregating the
results).  If someone wants to create a form like aseigo did recently
and it doesn't hinder the progress of the work, feel free.  But I'd prefer
getting the relationship going and giving our thanks over spending
the next six months building a suvery site.

4) Make a case for having the 'Thank You for using KDE' and 'Please
fill out this survey' together or apart.  Or having the 'Thank You'
part fall under the Christmas card initiative.  Who knows.

Next Steps