List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Home page first paragraph
From:       Tom Chance <tom () acrewoods ! net>
Date:       2005-11-16 10:21:51

On Tuesday 15 Nov 2005 22:20, Mihnea Capraru wrote:
> "KDE empowers you to work and feel good. Unlike
> products designed to be sold, KDE is designed to be
> used and loved. A large group of outstanding
> engineers, artists and writers have teamed up to bring
> you one of the most enjoyable and productive software
> suites available."

You've gone too far here. Suggesting that our software "empowers you to work
and feel good" makes little sense and is _extremely_ vague. It immediately
puts me off. Marketing messages should be precise, relevant to the product
(so not too generic) and they should catch your attention. That paragraph
just made me yawn.

It doesn't even say what KDE is!

> Notes:
>
> 1. We don't say 'Free Software' in the first paragraph
> because we assume the target reader to not know what
> this is about. However, a link to the FSF should be
> placed at a prominent location to underline KDE's
> commitment to software freedom.

I admit a personal bias here, in that I support KDE because it promotes free
software. But this is a really bad decision. Mention the phrase with a link
to the FSF definition page, don't be ashamed of it. That fact that KDE is
free software is one of the key advantages.

There's a really big problem with the way this is being approached. We are
charging in trying to rework slogans and introductory paragraphs before we
know what we're trying to say!

1. Who are our target markets?
2. What are the features of KDE that will be most impressive to them?
3. Are there features that will be important to them, even if they don't know?
4. How can we reduce those to three key messages?

We need to answer those questions before we can write any intelligent drafts.
There is work being planned by the Marketing Working Group to address them,
so let's get behind that first and wait before we jump in with redrafting
KDE's web site :)

Regards,
Tom

--
I'm aware that e-mails to me may be blocked by my host
because they are mistaken as spam. If this happens,