List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE's slogan
From:       Mihnea Capraru <mihnea_capraru () yahoo ! de>
Date:       2005-11-15 22:50:02

--- Patrick Trettenbrein
<patrick.trettenbrein@kdemail.net> schrieb:

> Am Dienstag, 15. November 2005 22:34 schrieb Mihnea
> Capraru:
> > 'Conquer your desktop!'
>
> I can understand the problem with this slogan. Maybe
> the common German
> translation will help us here. In German it's
> somtimes translated with
> "Erobern Sie Ihre Arbeitsumgebung" (conquer your
> desktop), but mostly with
> "Entdecken Sie Ihre Arbeitsumgebung" what means
> "discover your desktop".

'Erobern' does indeed sound bad in German, but that
was not my point. What I mean is that telling the user
to make a great effort in order to use his computer is
tantamount to losing the user. It's the computer which
has to make the effort, not the user.

> This
> sounds very nice me, and IMO it's a fact that

> KDE
> makes it worth for me using
> a computer.

Precisely. This is a correct message.

> So KDE helps and helped me to "discover"
> my desktop.

I'm afraid this is not a correct message any longer.
Discovering is for heroes. The computer must be
already obvious, it must bring forth whatever is
relevant by itself (I think this is the focus of
Plasma and Tenor anyway).

> If you think desktop means for a lot of people that
> it won't work on their
> laptops what about: "Discover your workplace"?

What's a workplace? This sounds abstract. We're
dealing with computers.

> > 'KDE. Designed to Serve You'
>
> Sounds to me like faked from BSD. They've got "The
> power to server you" AFAIK.

I didn't know that (honestly). But it doesn't only
sound like faked from BSD, it sound like faked from
lots of products. This is why I was insisting on
'standing out'.

> > 'KDE. Created to Deserve You'
>
> This slogan doesn't make too much sense IMO. It
> shows the intention of the
> developers but noone really creates a desktop to
> deserve users. (Please don't
> pick on me, but my dictionary says that deserve
> means "verdienen" in German -
> if this is wrong, or the word got another meaning I
> may missunderstood you).

'Verdienst' has two meanings in German (disclaimer:
it's not my native tongue and I haven't spoken it for
lots of time). There is 'Verdienst' as in 'earning a
wage', and there is 'Verdienst' as in 'earning glory,
respect and adoration'. I am certainly referring to
the second meaning.

The slogan does have sense, although it's not the kind
of sense that a sentence might have. A slogan is not
supposed to be accurate, it's supposed to grasp the
attention immediately.

Now I have this slight feeling that people are
actually quite fond of themselves. This is why many
commercials tell them that _they_ deserve
cars/whatever.

This is where we come in with a devilish hack: we too
know that people have a high esteem of themselves. But
we don't only offer them something good for them, we
take their self-adoration and project it onto KDE.
This the meaning of 'to deserve you' - 'if it's that
good to be up to me, then it must be really good'.

I know that this is crazy, but don't reject it because
of this, in favour of 'scientific enquieries'. Science
is about reality, not about desires. If you want to
get to the desires, you need
to be crazy.

Mihnea