List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE friendly press agencies/officers
From:       Tom Chance <lists () tomchance ! org ! uk>
Date:       2005-06-21 8:26:10

On Monday 20 Jun 2005 23:33, Joerg Hoh wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 11:00:12PM +0100, Tom Chance wrote:
> > It would be good if we could get a complete picture of what happens with
> > KDE PRs. Then we could determine how exactly we can build upon and
> > improve our current methods. As far as I know, it just ends up with
> > volunteers randomly submitting PRs to web sites and journalists they
> > know. What we should be doing is notifying a database of volunteers, who
> > are each assigned a block of contacts and who can get it distributed
> > quickly and efficiently.
>
> I don't think that it's good to make a number of people sending out the
> press relases. It should be easier than that. If we have email addresses,
> we can collect them and add them onto a kind of moderated mailinglist.

That depends. Usually we'd want to be able to do that, just sending out mails
to blanket lists defined by tags in the database like "en-us", "en-gb",
"floss" and so on :) Tailoring press releases to different kinds of media and
translating them is something we really ought to do once we get more
organised, and there's no way of knowing beforehand what kinds of lists we'll
need for each specific PR.

We'd also need teams of volunteers to submit the news to web sites that don't
allow email submissions.

Sometimes we might want to contact journalists individually, such as to send a
quick note with a PR to a friendly journalist who might appreciate a little
extra text.

Another reason for individual work is that a great and easy way to get
coverage is to have volunteers write letters to publications. These can be
anything from "why haven't you covered this KDE release? it has x, y, z" to
"I thought local people might like to know that the following local people
work on KDE, which has just...". Political parties use this dishonestly to
great effect. There's no reason why we shouldn't use it honestly to encourage
people to get KDE coverage.

I'm sure that as we build a platform for grassroots involvement, many more
ideas will be dreamt up.

Regards,
Tom

--