List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Re: Press Announcement for KDE 3.4
From:       Olaf Schmidt <ojschmidt () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-03-15 12:10:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Achim Woessner, Montag, 14. März 2005 20:05]
> If you would like to see another alignment feel free to write a comment
> here.

Just one small thing. The statement "Especially visually-impaired people
and speech-impaired users will benefit" is confusing, because we don't
have anything for blind users. By using unclear language here, we might
cause negative comments saying: "They claim to have something for the
visually impaired, but they only have something for a small part of the
visually impaired."

I also agree with Tackat's suggestions about this paragraph. Following
Coolo's comment I split the paragraph into two, and I tried hard not to
make it much longer:

"One of the milestones in this new release will be advanced KDE
Text-to-speech framework. It integrates into KPDF, Kate, Konqueror, and
KSayIt, and it allows to read out notifications from all KDE
applications. Especially partially-sighted people and speech-impaired
users will benefit, but it should also prove a fun desktop experience
overall.

For people with low vision, several high contrast themes including a
complete monochrome icon set have been added. Other accessibility
applications have been improved. KMouseTool which can click the mouse for
people with, for example, carpal tunnel syndrome or tendinitis; KMouth to
allow the computer to speak for the speech impaired; and KMagnifier to
magnify sections of screen for partially-sighted users. Standard
accessibility features including "Sticky Keys", "Slow Keys" and "Bounce
Keys" are also available and are now more easily accessed via keyboard
gestures. All of these features combine to open the world of computing to
a much wider audience and to a section of the population that is often
overlooked. The KDE project will continue its close cooperation with the
accessibility community to reach even more people in the future."

I also have two additions for "Highlights At A Glance":
* A new high contrast style and a complete monochrome icon set
* An icon effect to paint all icons in two chosen colors, converting third
party application icons into high contrast monochrome icons

Olaf

--
KDE Accessibility Project