List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Re: Press Announcement for KDE 3.4
From:       Tom Chance <lists () tomchance ! org ! uk>
Date:       2005-03-15 0:12:14

Ahoy all,

On Monday 14 Mar 2005 19:05, Achim Woessner wrote:
> On Monday, 14. March 2005 11:27, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Any news about that? Otherwise I will have to base the announcement on
> > what I have so far ;(
>
> Hi Stephan, others,
>
> as I wrote you today, Stephan, here is the final version I have worked out,
> it is based on all the improvements you suggested (thanks you all for your
> help :) ).
> The Highlights at a glance list is quite good now, or at least I think so,
> and I don't think we should seperate it into different subheadings just
> because there are too few features to seperate effectively.
> If you would like to see another alignment feel free to write a comment
> here.
> So for now I do hope you enjoy reading it and you are contented with my
> work. Plus I am sorry that I wrote the final version this late, but I had
> really a lot of work in the last few weeks.

It's looking good. I've pruned the announcement to make a press release. It
still needs:

- The date
- A snappy quote from a high profile KDE figure. Ideally this would be someone
like Stephan Kulow or one of the most long-serving and distinguished people,
or someone who gets a lot of media attention like Aaron Seigo or an
accessibility person like Harald Fernengel
- Local contact details. This means the main contact for international media
outlets, and the local people for local / language specific outlets.

The idea here is that some people can send it out to the centralised people
like LWN, ZDNet, etc. and everyone can chip in by sending it to their
national / local contacts. Huzzah.

Comments and ways to make it snappier / briefer / better framed are welcome. I
edited it after a trip to the pub.

Regards,
Tom

["kde-3.4-pr" (text/plain)]

Subject: Announcing release of KDE 3.4

FAO NEWS EDITORS, PLANNING DESKS

KDE Project [1] ships major new release of their flagship Open Source desktop \
environment

After more than half a year of development, the KDE Project is pleased to announce a \
major new release of the award-winning desktop environment [2]. Among the many new \
features that have been incorporated, the improvements in accessibility are the most \
remarkable.

One of the milestones in this new release will be the advanced KDE Text-to-speech \
framework that allows applications to read out text for visually impaired people. \
Other accessibility applications have been improved, too, including KMouseTool, \
KMouse and KMagnifier. All of these features combine to open the power and freedom of \
Open Source to a much wider audience. The KDE project will continue its close \
cooperation with the accessibility community to reach even more people in the future.

$high_profile_figure commented that: "$snappy_quote"

Other important enhancements in this release include [3]:

* KPDF now enables you to select, copy and paste text & images from PDFs, along with \
                many other improvements
* Akregator allows you to read news from your favourite RSS-enabled websites in one \
                application
* Kontact supports now various groupware servers, including eGroupware, GroupWise, \
                Kolab, OpenGroupware.org and SLOX
* more than $bugsfixed have been fixed
* more than $ffwishes wishes have been fullfilled
* more than $lines lines of code, documentation and other contributions have been \
committed to CVS

FOR MORE INFORMATION, INTERVIEWS

$local_contact_name
$position
$email
$phone

NOTES TO EDITORS

[1] The KDE Project is a community of volunteers who work on the powerful Free \
Software graphical desktop environment, KDE. More information about the project and \
KDE can be found on the website: http://www.kde.org

[2] KDE most recently won the 2004 LinuxQuestions.org Members' Choice Award for best \
desktop environment. It is available in more than 79 languages for Linux, BSD \
variants, Solaris and, in a limited capacity, Microsoft Windows and Apple MacOSX. It \
boasts eighteen packages of optional applications including accessibility, \
development, games, PIM, network, utilities, administration, edutainment, multimedia, \
graphics and more.

[2] For a more complete list of enhancements, and more information on the release, \
see the full announcement: http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-3.4.php