List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: Press Announcement for KDE 3.4
From:       Achim Woessner <boldii () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-03-14 19:05:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Attachment #4 (multipart/mixed)]

On Monday, 14. March 2005 11:27, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Any news about that? Otherwise I will have to base the announcement on
> what I have so far ;(

Hi Stephan, others,

as I wrote you today, Stephan, here is the final version I have worked out,
it is based on all the improvements you suggested (thanks you all for your
help :) ).
The Highlights at a glance list is quite good now, or at least I think so,
and I don't think we should seperate it into different subheadings just
because there are too few features to seperate effectively.
If you would like to see another alignment feel free to write a comment
here.
So for now I do hope you enjoy reading it and you are contented with my
work. Plus I am sorry that I wrote the final version this late, but I had
really a lot of work in the last few weeks.

Cheers,
Achim Woessner

["press_announcement_3.4.txt" (text/plain)]

Announcing KDE 3.4

The KDE Project ships a new major release of their leading open source
desktop environment with new features and bug fixes including many accessibility
improvements for impaired people.

March $day, 2005 (The Internet) - After more then a half year of development
the KDE Project is happy to be able to announce a new major release of the
award-winning K Desktop Environment. Among the many new features that have
been incorporated, the improvements in accessibility are most remarkable.

One of the milestones in this new release will be the advanced KDE
Text-to-speech framework that allows applications such as KSayIT to read
out longer text and speech output. Especially visually-impaired people and
speech-impaired users will benefit, but it should also prove a fun desktop
experience overall. Other accessibility applications have been improved, too.
KMouseTool which can click the mouse for people with, for example, carpal
tunnel syndrome or tendinitis; KMouth to allow the computer to speak for
the speech impaired; and KMagnifier to magnify sections of the screen for
partially sighted users, who might also be happy about the addition of
several high contrast themes to KDE 3.4. Standard accessibility features
including "Sticky Keys", "Slow Keys" and "Bounce Keys" are also available
and are now more easily accessed via keyboard gestures. All of these features
combine to open the world of computing to a much wider audience and to
a section of the population that is often overlooked. The KDE project will
continue its close cooperation with the accessibility community to reach
even more people in the future.

With KDE being based on an international community there are more than 79
translations available. This is why KDE serves best the needs of today's world
wide Linux community.

KDE 3.4 is available for free under Open Source licenses and boasts
eighteen packages of optional applications including accessibility,
development, games, PIM, network, utilities, administration,
edutainment, multimedia, graphics and more.

Highlights At A Glance

 * Text-to-speech system with support built into Konqueror, Kate and KPDF and
	standalone application KSayIt
 * Completely redesigned, more flexible trash system
 * KPDF now enables you to select, copy and paste text & images from PDFs,
	along with many other interface improvements. It also supports password
	protected documents and the PDF standard version 1.5
 * Kontact supports now various groupware servers, including eGroupware,
 	GroupWise, Kolab, OpenGroupware.org and SLOX
 * Better synchronization between 2 PCs
 * Kopete supports Novell Groupwise and Lotus Sametime and gets integrated
 	into Kontact
 * RSS Reader Akregator is new in KDE Pim
 * Juk has now an album cover management via Google Image Search
 * KMail now stores passwords securely with KWallet
 * SVG files can now be used as wallpapers
 * KPrinter now has complete built-in help via 'WhatsThis'
 * Kicker with improved look and feel
 * KHTML plug-ins are now configurable, so the user can selectively disable
	ones that are not used. This does not include Netscape-style plug-ins.
	Netscape plug-in in CPU usage can be manually lowered, and plug-ins are more
	stable.
 * more than $bugsfixed have been fixed
 * more than $ffwishes wishes have been fullfilled
 * more than $lines lines of code, documentation and other contributions have been \
committed to CVS

For a more detailed list of improvements since the KDE 3.3 release, please refer to \
the KDE 3.4 Change Log.

Getting KDE 3.4

Full information on how to download and install KDE 3.4 is available on
our official website at http://www.kde.org/download/. Being free and
open source software, it is available for download at no cost. If you
use a major Linux distribution then precompiled packages may be
available from your distributions website or from
http://download.kde.org/. The source code can also be downloaded from
here. If you prefer to build KDE from source you should consider using
Konstruct (http://developer.kde.org/build/konstruct/), a tool that
automatically downloads, configures and builds KDE 3.4 for you.

Many more KDE applications are freely available from KDE-Apps.org
(http://www.kde-apps.org/) and different look and feel improvents
can be downloaded from KDE-Look.org (http://www.kde-look.org/).

Supporting KDE

KDE is an open source project that exists and grows only because of the
help of many volunteers that donate their time and effort. KDE
is always looking for new volunteers and contributions, whether its
help with coding, bug fixing or reporting, writing documentation,
translations, promotion, money, etc. All contributions are gratefully
appreciated and eagerly accepted. Please read through the "Supporting
KDE" page (http://www.kde.org/support/) for further information.
We look forward to hearing from you soon!