List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Press Announcement for KDE 3.4
From:       Stefan Teleman <steleman () nyc ! rr ! com>
Date:       2005-02-02 12:37:27

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 16:58, Joshua Keel wrote:
> All of these features combine to open the world of
> computing to a much wider audience and to a section of the
> population that is often overlooked.

Hi

if i may make two small suggestions:

it seems to me that the noun "section" implies the division of a
physical, tangible "thing" into two or more parts (for example, the
"section" and "row" of the concert hall where your seats assignments
are), and also implies positioning (for example "section 2" of some
written document). i think that, when referring to sub-categories of
a larger group of people, "segment" is more often used, because it
does not have these connotations.

also, "population" is most often used in relation to large scale
statistical studies of a large group of people, usually associated
with a geographic region, or a specific age group, or some other
statistical measure. the best alternative which comes to my mind is
"user base", which is most commonly associated with people using
something computer-related. the drawback of "user base" is that it's
overused.

just my suggestions.

--Stefan

steleman@nyc.rr.com                          -Monty Python