List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Press Announcement for KDE 3.4
From:       Olaf Schmidt <ojschmidt () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-02 1:08:14

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Barry O'Donovan, Dienstag, 1. Februar 2005 22:34]
> The KDE Project ships a new major release of their leading open source
> desktop with new features and bug fixes including many accessability
> improvements for disabled people.

This must be "accessibility", not "accessability". And maybe we could say
"accessibility for impaired users" instead? Disabled is a bit strong...

> Other accessibility applications include: KMouseTool which can click the
> mouse for people with, for example, carpal tunnel syndrome or
> tendinitis; KMagnifier to magnify sections of the screen for the
> visually impaired; and KMouth to allow the computer to speak for those
> who cannot.

We don't have a solution for "the visually impaired" yet, because we have
no solution for blind people until we port KDE to Qt 4. And the mentioned
applications are not new to KDE (but have been improved).

How about this: "Other accessibility applications have been improved:
KMouseTool which can click the mouse for people with, for example, carpal
tunnel syndrome or tendinitis; KMouth to allow the computer to speak for
the speech impaired; and KMagnifier to magnify sections of the screen for
partially sighted users, who might also be happy about the addition of
several high contrast themes to KDE 3.4."

> Standard accessibility features including "Sticky Keys",
> "Slow Keys" and "Bounce Keys" are also available

"...and are now easier accessible via keyboard gestures."

> All of these features combine to open the world of computing to a much
> wider audience and to a section of the population that is often
> overlooked.

Maybe add: "The KDE project is closely cooperating with the accessibility
community to reach even more people, such as blind users, in the future."

> * Important additions to KMouth ** FIXME ** what features?

This should rather be:
* KSayIt for reading longer texts
* Speech synthesis support in Konqueror, Kate and KPDF

Olaf

--
KDE Accessibility Project