List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Strategic Planning Framework
From:       Tom Chance <lists () tomchance ! org ! uk>
Date:       2004-12-19 1:48:57

On Saturday 18 Dec 2004 21:42, Steven William Giacomelli wrote:
> A) Mission/Vision/Objectives
> This defines who the KDE project is -- why it exists -- what it hopes to
> accomplish -- etc
[...]
> The first step according to this framework is to define the
> Mission/Vision/Objectives of the KDE project and this can best be done in
> manifesto form since the KDE project is a community that should have its
> principles codified and rationalized in an agreed upon form -- i'm not
> talking about re-inventing the KDE project only brining ideas together in
> one formal document.
>
> This is why i feel a mission statement is the first step towards the
> development of any plan and why the community must "clarify" it.

The KDE Project exists to create a good Free Software desktop environment.
This can be subdivided into connected aims related to the product (involving
such subjective terms as power, usability, accessibility, and so on) and the
community (involving licensing, development and governance techniques).

Is that the sort of thing you're looking for? Either way, is this the
appropriate place to discuss this? In fact, where is the appropriate place?
I'm guessing people will say a list like kde-devel or kde-ev-membership...

Regards,
Tom