List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Strategic Planning Framework
From:       Steven William Giacomelli <steve () orplex ! com>
Date:       2004-12-18 23:13:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On December 18, 2004 04:41 pm, Benjamin Rossen wrote:

> When I brainstorm for a business plan, I follow a sequence, of which you
> seem to have only one of six in your outline.
> (1) What are KDE's strengths? This is inward looking. You are interested in
> describing what you have that makes KDE a great organization.
> (2) What are KDE's weaknesses? This is again inward looking. What does your
> organization not have that it should? What can you not do that you should
> do?

I think i mentioned that in 3b

> (5) What are KDE's vulnerabilities? This is again outward looking. How can
> competitors out there get the better of KDE? How can changes in the world
> economy, political events, shifts in fashion, passage of new laws and so
> on, undermine your position? You have not given attention to this in your
> outline.

I think i mentioned them as threats under 2 and particular 2d

> There are many more stages in developing a business plan than only these. I
> did not get this from any one book. It is built up from years of writing
> business plans, and reading many books. If you would like I could write a
> much more detailed and extensive protocols for strategy development
> document for KDE. Is the organization interested?

To be fair I'm a marketing student and my "real world" experience in strategic
planing is somewhat limited so in no way want to take on the responsibility
of strategic planning by myself

I personally think it is important to have a strategic plan in place or
partially in place before you can develop any tactics or strategies for
promotion -- but i think there should probably be a re-thinking of how this
is coordinated -- it might make sense to create more mailing-lists
specifically one dealing with KDE Strategy and there should probably be a
homepage specifically for strategic documents

As well -- its all good to create strategic plans, etc for KDE but they have
to implemented -- so it is crucial that there is a way to get credibility for
the plan.

But this brings up an auxiliary issue -- KDE operates under a bazaar model and
the key tenet of it is there is no "plan" or grandious blueprint  [this is
what i read on whatiskde]

But i think the concept of strategy can sit side by side -- if people have a
general idea of the direction that the community is trying to go in -- they
can decide for themselves how to get there -- strategy is different than
tactics.....

Anyways thats my two sense

Steven Giacomelli