List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Competitor Review
From:       Stephan Binner <binner () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-12-12 23:11:17

On Sunday 12 December 2004 23:41, Steven William Giacomelli wrote:

> > "GNOME is not known for its stability leading to Sun developing its own
> I remember reading something to that effect somewhere

Slashdot? :-)

> but did HP decide to return to CDE, and if so why? --

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/bus/bus_BusDetailPage_IDX/1,1252,4810,00.html

"HP will continue to deliver CDE as the default desktop for HP-UX.
 GNOME v1.4 is available for HP-UX on both the PA and IPF platforms

 There are currently no plans for GNOME 2.0 on HP-UX."

They did not switch at one point to GNOME 2.0 (because it was not ready or
whatever, please don't let interpret/guess (you write "because of concerns
of Gnome's usability"?). No "return", there was no GNOME default before.

You can also only speculate what effort/support they planned at what point
but as you write they are still GNOME Foundation advisory board member
which means they pay to support GNOME.

In general, I'm missing links to the sources of all collected information.

> and why did Sun fork Gnome to create JDS?

They didn't fork. The created a product based on it.

Bye,
   Steve